none
Moved Vista to a bigger HD and it Deactivated. RRS feed

• Question

•  

I used a program called Drive Image, from Power Quest Software, to move my Vista Ultimate install to a bigger HD, from a 40GB to an 80GB HD.  Once I got the new drive installed and booted the computer, I noticed that Vista was not activated and that I have just three days to activate it.  When I tried to activate again, it tells me my Prodcut ID number is already in use and I need a new one.

Is there anyway to deactivate the Vista OS on the old HD so I can activate the Vista OS on the new HD?  I don't think I should have to buy another number just so I can upgrade my HD.  Drive Image allows me to do the upgrade without resorting to unreliable backup methods and/or a complete reinstallation of the OS.  I plan to use the old 40GB drive as additional storage on the same computer, but I have not yet wiped it because of this activation issue.  If there is no easy solution, I may have to put the old HD back in just to keep using my PC.  This could become very frustrating, I hope it's not hard to resolve.

Please tell me what I need to do to resolve this matter.  Thank you!

Cantatta

Sunday, August 5, 2007 6:52 PM

All replies

• Microsoft allows an OEM version of Windows to be activated once. This way it prevents friends from sharing discs that dont' require CD keys to install. The Windows Vista Protection tripped when it saw that it was on a larger hard drive therefore requiring you to enter a product key. You will need to re-activate your copy of windows.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 7:30 AM