none
Turn off Outlook cache mode RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am running Office 365 ProPlus and I want to create a PowerShell script which I will deploy via Intune to a group of users for which I want to turn off Outlook cache mode. 

In my online research, everyone is point to set the following registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Cached Mode]
    "CacheOthersMail"=dword:00000000

first of all, I couldn't find this registry key in my HKCU so I went ahead a created it. I then closed and re-launched outlook and it still didn't work. 

Any suggestions on how should I get to the root of this problem?

Thanks in Advance

Sunday, October 14, 2018 3:21 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Is there any update on this thread? If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by KhanShehzad Friday, December 14, 2018 11:40 AM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2018 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hi All,

I am running Office 365 ProPlus and I want to create a PowerShell script which I will deploy via Intune to a group of users for which I want to turn off Outlook cache mode. 

In my online research, everyone is point to set the following registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Cached Mode]
    "CacheOthersMail"=dword:00000000

first of all, I couldn't find this registry key in my HKCU so I went ahead a created it. I then closed and re-launched outlook and it still didn't work. 

Any suggestions on how should I get to the root of this problem?

Thanks in Advance

That key controls shared folder caching.

To disable cache mode ( not recommended), 

https://www.slipstick.com/exchange/outlook-online-mode-creates-ost-file/

set in the appropriate office reg version

Sunday, October 14, 2018 3:32 PM
  • You're going to have a terrible experience if you turn off cached mode.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Sunday, October 14, 2018 4:20 PM
  • I agree with Andy and Ed but if you still want to disable cached mode, why not just do it using GPO?

You can create a custom GPO and apply it to the subset of users using AD group management.

Refer to this support ticket for more information:  https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/1f6001bd-8c45-442a-a5a4-d474d1e53970/disable-cached-mode-in-outlook-2016-via-gpo?forum=Office2016ITPro 

Sunday, October 14, 2018 10:54 PM
  • Hi,

Is there any update on this thread? If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, October 19, 2018 9:43 AM
  • Sorry for the late reply. I am about to finalize the testing and will let you guys know. I really appreciate your patience guys.
    Sunday, October 28, 2018 6:37 AM
  • Hi,

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

• Marked as answer by KhanShehzad Friday, December 14, 2018 11:40 AM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2018 10:08 AM