How can I enable different languages for different user groups on my RDS farm? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone-

I'm looking for the best way to enable different languages on my terminal server farm, specifically Office apps. I have the Office language packs installed, and I've installed the different locales via "Text Services and Input Languages". I have groups of terminal users setup by country and would like to allow FrenchTerminalUsers to have Excel come up in French, ItalianTerminalUsers come up in Italian, and so on. What is the perscribed method of doing this- I feel like I have scoured the net and not found a lot of useful info on 2008 RDS specifically. Anyone got a clue I could borrow?

Thanks a ton all

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 10:49 PM

All replies

• I'd really like an answer on this. I just deployed R2 RDS, but I can't find much of anything on enabling additional languages. I need to provide my apps in multiple languages as well. Anyone have a link to a guide that explains the required pieces and steps to get this additional functionality working?
    Monday, June 7, 2010 6:22 PM
  • Hey Kevin

I usually use an Active Directory group policy to set the specified language based on Active Directory groups.

You can find the policy here: User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Renional and Language Options

Restricts the UI languages Windows should use for the selected user

In here you should be able to set the desired language.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 2:31 PM
  • hi Kevin, Windows 2008 R2 by default supports all of the languages previously available via add-ins on older OSes natively.  Barring GPO and custom RDS configurations, R2 RDS will by default port over your client's current language bar settings.

As long as the user's default language bar is set to the language they want on the client, it will be reflected on the server with a language bar.  This holds true for all languages except english from my experience.  If English is your default language bar language, then even if you have other languages installed, they won't transfer over.

Also note that ths is NOT a MUI transfer - all icons, words etc will still be in the OS's native language.  Also note that this will NOT transfer over the non-Unicode preferred language configuration.  This is a system configuration that affects the whole server.  While it can be changed, it will impact everyone.

If you require multiple non-Unicode language settings, currently you will need to have multiple servers configured separately for each.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 7:49 PM