Integrate telephony with Skype for Business RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

We have Skype for Business 2015 on premise and would like to enable the facility for people to dial in to meetings using a normal telephone.  I'd be grateful if somebody could offer advice on how to achieve this (I suspect I need to engage with a 3rd party SIP or PSTN provider so recommendations would also be welcome).  Is there a guide somewhere I can follow?

We have an Avaya telephone system on site too but I understand that the license cost to integrate the two would be very high.

Thanks in advance,
    D

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 12:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You only need one number assigned for conferencing. Different people will get different ID for use when external dials in via PSTN.

If you have office in different countries, it is then best to have a dialin meeting number for each country. This is because it can be costly for customers to dial in.

Depends on the volume of your enterprise voice usage. If not so heavy, it is fine to collocate mediation server on your frontend. Think it should handle 1500 users fine.

Our company has around 1100 users in 15 countries around the world (asia,europe,USA).

For USA (around 100 users) site we have 1 edge, 1 sql and Frontend with mediation role.

For Europe site (1000 users) we have 3 frontend, 2 mediation, 2 edge, 3 sql and 1 Office web app server for Powerpoint presentation (this is also used by USA site). Europe site also host for users in Asia (around 250 users).

We have 1 sip trunk for USA and 1 sip trunk for Europe, but none for Asia yet.

Sip trunk in Europe host for 8 countries without any issues.

Last I checked we have around 4-5000 meetings a month (no numbers for dialin thru pstn yet).

Total audio pr month is around 70-80k (pstn and skype to skype)

We have less than 4% poor/bad quality, this is probably due to external users on bad network.

You should therefor plan your environment according to your company requirements and usage.

I recommend you use monitoring and pull out your past statistics to get an overview of your usage.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

• Marked as answer by D UK Tuesday, May 3, 2016 12:11 PM
    Friday, April 29, 2016 8:52 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

Depends of what you would like to do... If you have a SIP Provider, or a PSTN qualified to create a trunk....

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dn788945.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

“Vote As Helpful” and/or “Mark As Answered” - Thiago Mendes da Silva - MCSE Communication - http://www.ucsteps.com/

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:42 PM
  • Hi.

Thanks for the reply.  If I understand correctly, I need to configure PSTN conferencing (but not sure) in order to allow external users to dial into a Skype for Business meeting - is that right?

Thanks,
    D

• Edited by D UK Wednesday, April 20, 2016 5:42 PM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

Dial-in conferencing that you mentioned it as PSTN conferencing allows meeting attendees to join the audio portion of a meeting by calling in to the meeting from a phone, if you want to achieve this, yes, you need to configure Dial-in conferencing.

Here are some articles for your reference:

Plan for dial-in conferencing in Skype for Business Server 2015

Hardware and software requirements for conferencing in Skype for Business Server 2015

Deployment flowchart and checklist for dial-in conferencing

Configure dial-in conferencing in Skype for Business Server 2015

But you mentioned Avaya telephone system integrate with sfb server 2015, I think you can refer to Call Via Work which is one of Enterprise Voice options in business server 2015.

Plan your enterprise voice solution in Skype for Business Server 2015

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn951428.aspx

“Call Via Work offers a way for you to integrate your Skype for Business solution with your existing PBX phone systems. A user enabled for Call Via Work can click in Skype for Business to call another user, either within your deployment or an external user. The call is completed using the user's PBX phone. Additionally, these users can click in Skype for Business to join conferences. “

Hope these help.

Best Regards,

Cindy Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help.

• Edited by Cindy_lim Thursday, April 21, 2016 5:06 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Liinus Thursday, April 21, 2016 3:28 PM
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 3:08 AM
  • Hi, thanks for the information.  The links are really helpful so I'll have a good read through and make sure I understand it.

The goal is to enable people inside our organisation to host conferences using our on-premise SfB that people outside our organisation (clients or suppliers) can join using a telephone (we'd give them a phone number to dial and a pin to join the conference).  I think this is possible, right?

If so, it would probably be too expensive (and potentially use a lot of our telephone lines) to use our internal phone system due to license costs so I need to understand if and how I can use a 3rd party supplier.  Would I need them to provide PSTN trunks or would it be SIP?

Many thanks,
    D

Thursday, April 21, 2016 7:21 AM
  • We use Interoute to provide us sip trunk. They have locations in different part of the world. If your company is in different countries then I would recommend them. Quality is good and stable.

You could also use your local telephone operator, maybe the one you use can provide this service?

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Thursday, April 21, 2016 1:43 PM
  • So I can use a 3rd party SIP provider to achieve this (have multiple people dial into multiple meetings using a normal telephone)?
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 4:02 PM
  • yes either your phone service provider or third part. They can provide sip trunk which can be configured for meeting.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 4:54 PM
  • Therefore I assume I'd need one SIP trunk and telephone number per conference? So if we want capacity for 10 different conferences to take place around the business at any given time we'd need 10 SIP trunks and 10 telephone numbers?

What if we want a pool of numbers that anyone can 'book' to use as and when they need them (we have hundreds of users, I don't want hundreds of numbers, some assigned to users that may only host one conference per month).

Would I also need to build a mediation server for this?  I currently have a Skype for Business server in the LAN and edge server in the DMZ.

Apologies for all the questions, I'm just trying to understand everything required to make this work.

Thanks,
    D

Friday, April 29, 2016 3:52 PM
  • Hi,

You only need one number assigned for conferencing. Different people will get different ID for use when external dials in via PSTN.

If you have office in different countries, it is then best to have a dialin meeting number for each country. This is because it can be costly for customers to dial in.

Depends on the volume of your enterprise voice usage. If not so heavy, it is fine to collocate mediation server on your frontend. Think it should handle 1500 users fine.

Our company has around 1100 users in 15 countries around the world (asia,europe,USA).

For USA (around 100 users) site we have 1 edge, 1 sql and Frontend with mediation role.

For Europe site (1000 users) we have 3 frontend, 2 mediation, 2 edge, 3 sql and 1 Office web app server for Powerpoint presentation (this is also used by USA site). Europe site also host for users in Asia (around 250 users).

We have 1 sip trunk for USA and 1 sip trunk for Europe, but none for Asia yet.

Sip trunk in Europe host for 8 countries without any issues.

Last I checked we have around 4-5000 meetings a month (no numbers for dialin thru pstn yet).

Total audio pr month is around 70-80k (pstn and skype to skype)

We have less than 4% poor/bad quality, this is probably due to external users on bad network.

You should therefor plan your environment according to your company requirements and usage.

I recommend you use monitoring and pull out your past statistics to get an overview of your usage.

• Marked as answer by D UK Tuesday, May 3, 2016 12:11 PM
    Friday, April 29, 2016 8:52 PM
  • Thank you for replying again.  That sounds pretty doable for us, I can easily source a SIP trunk and a number to set up a trial and figure it all out. But you mention PSTN - does that mean I can't do this without PSTN trunks or is that just an alternative to SIP? Can I make all of this happen with just one SIP trunk and one number? I don't really need my users to dial external number using Skype I just want external people to dial in and join a meeting.

Thanks,
    D

Sunday, May 1, 2016 8:09 AM
  • Hi,

If your provider allows to only get 1 number, then it is fine. Some providers doesn't allow lower than 5 numbers or maybe 10.

Ireferto PSTNwhen someone dials in our out thru Sip trunk(probwrong use of words, just a bit oldschool) :)

Sunday, May 1, 2016 8:30 AM
  • OK, I thought PSTN trunks would involve hooking SfB up to our phone system and using a phone line for each person that dials in (which would be quite expensive and tie up a lot of our phone lines) whereas SIP trunks would mean it all goes over the Internet (the 3rd party SIP trunk provider takes care of the lines)?  Is that right?
    Monday, May 2, 2016 7:22 PM
  • Yes that is correct.

Monday, May 2, 2016 7:32 PM
  • Thank you so much for your help, I feel I now have a much better understanding of how this works.
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 7:57 AM
  • Hello,

You said you have AVAYA...

You can intergrate that very easily...

try to make sip trunk between them and you can easily call outside....

No need of investing anywhere else..

Regards

S

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 2:01 PM