Enable IPV6 on Microsoft Exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Currently my exchange 2010 server consist of AD, CAS Server, MBX server and TMG, we are transitioning over to IPv6 and it will dual stacked network. i am having problem on TMG site since i found IPV6 is not support IPV6. 

TMG used for publishing all our Exchange services to users

Do i need to remove the tmg from the exchange infra? or there is other alternative work around on tmg part?

what is the best pratice to remove the tmg from my current setup

thansks

Thursday, November 3, 2016 9:24 AM

Answers

• Hello,

These are some Technet articles about Exchange 2010 and TMG IPv6 support:

For TMG removal, i've done this quite a few times, it's not that difficult depending on what your setup is.

The first approach is to document all the rules and configurations you have configured and find a product that will best match your setup you have in place. Again, depending on your setup (single or array), it can go from a good enterprise baseline product to a more sophisticated one.

I've been a big fan of ISA and TMG products since its beginning. In my opinion, Microsoft should have not dropped that product. It was really robust and stable.

Regards,

Gilles Tremblay
    MCSE Server | Desktop | Messaging | Collaboration | Productivity | Mobility | Cloud Platform and Infrastructure

Dont forget to mark as Answered if you found this post helpful.

DISCLAIMER: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied, and confers no rights. Always test before!

• Edited by Gilles Tremblay Thursday, November 3, 2016 10:06 AM Added some corrections.
    • Proposed as answer by ashim_4398 Saturday, November 5, 2016 9:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Anonuserman Sunday, January 29, 2017 7:15 PM
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 10:04 AM
  • And for answer your questions about IPv6 support on your TMG: yes you will have to get rid of your TMG, since Microsoft will drop TMG support on April 14, 2020, just about a little more than three years from now. So in a near future you will have to change your TMG any way, so the time is perfect.

Also be aware of Exchange 2010 IPv6 limited support also, you may want to check my last post to measure the impacts and possible product upgrade.

On thing for sure, you wont be able swtich entirely to IPv6 and get rid of IPv4 with Exchange 2010, since Transport Role is not supporting IPv6. But like you mentionned, you will have a dual stack network, so it sould not be an issue for you.

Best regards,

Gilles Tremblay
    MCSE Server | Desktop | Messaging | Collaboration | Productivity | Mobility | Cloud Platform and Infrastructure

DISCLAIMER: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied, and confers no rights. Always test before!

• Edited by Gilles Tremblay Thursday, November 3, 2016 10:28 AM Added more comments.
    • Proposed as answer by Jason.Chao Friday, November 4, 2016 5:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Anonuserman Sunday, January 29, 2017 7:12 PM
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 10:17 AM

All replies

• Hello,

These are some Technet articles about Exchange 2010 and TMG IPv6 support:

For TMG removal, i've done this quite a few times, it's not that difficult depending on what your setup is.

The first approach is to document all the rules and configurations you have configured and find a product that will best match your setup you have in place. Again, depending on your setup (single or array), it can go from a good enterprise baseline product to a more sophisticated one.

I've been a big fan of ISA and TMG products since its beginning. In my opinion, Microsoft should have not dropped that product. It was really robust and stable.

Regards,

Gilles Tremblay

• Edited by Gilles Tremblay Thursday, November 3, 2016 10:06 AM Added some corrections.
    • Proposed as answer by ashim_4398 Saturday, November 5, 2016 9:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Anonuserman Sunday, January 29, 2017 7:15 PM
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 10:04 AM
  • And for answer your questions about IPv6 support on your TMG: yes you will have to get rid of your TMG, since Microsoft will drop TMG support on April 14, 2020, just about a little more than three years from now. So in a near future you will have to change your TMG any way, so the time is perfect.

Also be aware of Exchange 2010 IPv6 limited support also, you may want to check my last post to measure the impacts and possible product upgrade.

On thing for sure, you wont be able swtich entirely to IPv6 and get rid of IPv4 with Exchange 2010, since Transport Role is not supporting IPv6. But like you mentionned, you will have a dual stack network, so it sould not be an issue for you.

Best regards,

Gilles Tremblay

• Edited by Gilles Tremblay Thursday, November 3, 2016 10:28 AM Added more comments.
    • Proposed as answer by Jason.Chao Friday, November 4, 2016 5:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Anonuserman Sunday, January 29, 2017 7:12 PM
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 10:17 AM
  • Hello,

Agree with Gilles, here are two good blogs about IPV6 and TMG for your reference:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/netro/2010/11/24/arguments-against-disabling-ipv6/

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2013/07/17/life-in-a-post-tmg-world-is-it-as-scary-as-you-think/ 

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Jason Chao TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Jason.Chao Friday, November 4, 2016 6:01 AM
    Friday, November 4, 2016 5:59 AM