none
Is it possible to specify the User Profile Server Application Sync database name in Central Administration?

Question

• I am creating a new User Profile Service Application in Central Administration and the options for specifying the Sync Database are disabled:

The database is created with a horrible GUID:

Is there a way to specify the Sync DB name with Central Administration? Are we required to use PowerShell (I haven't yet tested this so please forgive me if this is the case)? Is this a bug?

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 4:59 PM

Answers

• Jason,

The answer is "no". In preview the only way to control the name of this (empty) database is via Windows PowerShell creation of the UPA.

However I wouldn't be too concerned. In the future the sync DB will be removed entirely as it is not used - we won't even populate it's schema. But for Beta 1 it is easier to just disable out those controls on the web form.

cheers

s.

Cheers
    Spence
    www.harbar.net
    Microsoft Certified Architect | SharePoint
    Microsoft Certified Solutions Master | SharePoint
    Microsoft Certified Master | SharePoint 2010
    Microsoft Certified Master | SharePoint 2007

• Marked as answer by Jason Warren Wednesday, August 26, 2015 9:01 PM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 8:49 PM

All replies

• As of now, I think we have only ADI options, so in this build it not but in future release I am sure we will get that option.

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 6:19 PM
  • Jason,

If your question is "can I control the naming (i.e., the GUID that is generated) of the a service application" then the answer is no. The only way would be to use a Windows PowerShell script.  There is an article that allows you do to this but it was published for SharePoint 2010 and not updated for SharePoint 2016, however the concepts and Windows PowerShell cmdlets used are generally the same.

NOTE: This article has NOT been tested for SharePoint Server 2016 Preview and is best effort in support.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg983005(v=office.14).aspx

Kirk Stark, MSFT

Senior Technical Writer, SharePoint Products

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 8:05 PM
  • My question is why is the database name text box for the Sync database disabled?

In SharePoint 2013 the sync database name text box was editable. Currently in the 2016 preview the Profile and Social database names are editable.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 11:29 PM
  • Agreed, whilst this is only a small thing, I have clients that HATE guids in database names... 8-)

Please ensure that you mark a question as Answered once you receive a satisfactory response. This helps people in future when searching and helps prevent the same questions being asked multiple times.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 1:24 PM
  • Jason,

The answer is "no". In preview the only way to control the name of this (empty) database is via Windows PowerShell creation of the UPA.

However I wouldn't be too concerned. In the future the sync DB will be removed entirely as it is not used - we won't even populate it's schema. But for Beta 1 it is easier to just disable out those controls on the web form.

cheers

s.

Cheers
    Spence
    www.harbar.net
    Microsoft Certified Architect | SharePoint
    Microsoft Certified Solutions Master | SharePoint
    Microsoft Certified Master | SharePoint 2010
    Microsoft Certified Master | SharePoint 2007

• Marked as answer by Jason Warren Wednesday, August 26, 2015 9:01 PM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 8:49 PM
  • Thanks Spence. This was the answer I was looking for :)
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 9:02 PM
  • In RTM version Sync DB either disabled for rename :(
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 8:32 AM
  • Please let me know how to remove SYNCDB GUID using powershell script

Sharepoint Gems

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 7:08 PM
  • Hello:

The answer was provided back on August of 2015 and The Synch DB is still around in January of 2018.  If we want to host the UPA databases on an entirely new SQL server, then we have to use Powershell to create the UPA?

Also, are there still plans to remove the Synch DB?

Thank you,

Rumi

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 6:01 PM
  • Rumi,

Yes, we want to change GUID Sych DB in sharepoint 2016 environment

Sharepoint Gems

Monday, January 8, 2018 4:05 PM