Activation RRS feed

• Question

• I can't activate Windows 10 Enterprise Tech preview, even though I did an in place upgrade from Windows 8.1 Enterprise. Should I be able to do this?

Thursday, October 2, 2014 12:16 PM

Answers

• Yes, I believe there is a bug when you do an inplace upgrade.

I had a similar issue. It was supposed to install pre activated but did not. Fix is as follows:

1. Open Administrative command prompt (Windows key+x > A)

2. Type: SLUI 3

3. Enter the product key Microsoft provided for recovery scenarios: PBHCJ-Q2NYD-2PX34-T2TD6-233PK

That's it, it should activate. As Vegan said, the "Activation" will expire in April

Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:32 PM

All replies

• that is why you are having a problem

you should realized this is a preview that will expire comn april

backup your files and reinstall 8.1 for production and use a virtual machine for the preview which is the way it was intended to be used

MSFT Signature

Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!
    Vegan Advocate How can you be an environmentalist and still eat meat?

Thursday, October 2, 2014 12:38 PM
  • Understood, however without activation, there are personalization options not available. If it's supposed to be like this, I'm OK with that, I just wanted to confirm. 
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 1:38 PM
  • Technical previews should activate, as past previews have done so. Activation ensures the expiry in respected. Without activation, the expiry will kick in after 30 days.
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:20 PM

I had a similar issue. It was supposed to install pre activated but did not. Fix is as follows:

3. Enter the product key Microsoft provided for recovery scenarios: PBHCJ-Q2NYD-2PX34-T2TD6-233PK

That's it, it should activate. As Vegan said, the "Activation" will expire in April

Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:32 PM
  • Perfect. Thank you very much for reply. This fixed it for me. 

I figured it would need to activate so you can test all the features of a technical preview. 

Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:39 PM
  • Thanks Jon!
    Saturday, October 4, 2014 3:51 PM
  • Tried this and got the message: This key didn't work, please check it and try again, or try a different key

I am installing W10 via WDS and during the build it stops during the automated OOBE when requesting a key. Have embedded the key in answer file which also fails.

This is having a knock on effect on my deployment development, as the auto logon also fails.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Ok.... WDS is starting to grow on me - I still don't find it as flexible as RIS though..... yet

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 9:21 AM
  • Hello,

I tried this fix and it does not work for me. I receive the error below. I also tried using the product key MS provided at download and that failed also. Any assistance would be deeply appreciated. I am very happy with 10 so far and would hate to have it crap out on me after 30 days :o(   (It would not let me put the screenshot in) 
    The error is "That key can't be used to activate this edition of Windows. Please try a different key."
    Product key: PBHCJ-Q2NYD-2PX34-T2TD6-233PK
    Thank You!

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 11:46 AM
  • Can you confirm the edition of Windows you are using? Just right click on "This PC" in the left hand side of any open file explorer window and select properties.

If I answered your question, please Click "Mark as Answer". If you found my post helpful, feel free to Vote as helpful on the left. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 12:02 PM
  • Hello,

Windows edition: "Windows Technical Preview" 2014 MS cooperation
    Thanks!

Should I try to do by phone with SLUI 04?
    Hello. I just did phone activation with SLUI 04 and it worked like a charm. I think it may have been a firewall issue. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! 
    • Edited by MLonabaugh Tuesday, October 14, 2014 2:13 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2014 2:01 PM
  • So posted above is the recovery product key for windows technical preview for Enterprise which you are not using. Try the above steps (SLUI 3) and try using instead the following product key: NKJFK-GPHP7-G8C3J-P6JXR-HQRJR

If I answered your question, please Click "Mark as Answer". If you found my post helpful, feel free to Vote as helpful on the left. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 2:05 PM
  • Hello,

I tried this fix and it does not work for me. I receive the error below. I also tried using the product key MS provided at download and that failed also. Any assistance would be deeply appreciated. I am very happy with 10 so far and would hate to have it crap out on me after 30 days :o(   (It would not let me put the screenshot in) 
    The error is "That key can't be used to activate this edition of Windows. Please try a different key."
    Thank You!

I have the same problem, but am running Windows Technical Preview for Enterprise.

I have tried the activation with both keys: PBHCJ-Q2NYD-2PX34-T2TD6-233PK and NKJFK-GPHP7-G8C3J-P6JXR-HQRJR

What can I try next?

Cheers?

Simon

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:13 PM
  • Hello,

Thank You!

I have the same problem, but am running Windows Technical Preview for Enterprise.

I have tried the activation with both keys: PBHCJ-Q2NYD-2PX34-T2TD6-233PK and NKJFK-GPHP7-G8C3J-P6JXR-HQRJR

What can I try next?

Cheers?

Simon

That's odd. Were you trying the product key in the regular activation screen? or by running "SLUI 3" from an administrative command prompt?

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:20 PM
  • I have the same issue. I tried both keys on both screens (Activate Windows under PC Settings as well as SLUI 3 in elevated cmd) and both gave me the same error. "That key can't be used to activate this edition of windows"

I installed it using WinToGo on an external hard drive (that previously had Win8.1, but I formatted the partition prior of course), in case that's relevant.
    • Edited by Carl Sin Tuesday, October 28, 2014 2:30 AM typo
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 2:29 AM
  • Just to repeat (seems necessary)

DO NOT replace running Operating Systems w/ Beta Operating systems!!

Virtualize (Hyper-V VM or VHD)
    Dual boot
    OR
    Spare box

ONLY!!

Cheers,
    Drew

Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 2:36 AM
  • I have the same issue. I tried both keys on both screens (Activate Windows under PC Settings as well as SLUI 3 in elevated cmd) and both gave me the same error. "That key can't be used to activate this edition of windows"

I installed it using WinToGo on an external hard drive (that previously had Win8.1, but I formatted the partition prior of course), in case that's relevant.
    So... no answer ? I really don't want it to stop working in 30 days so I'm hoping someone could help me figure thisone before then.
    Friday, October 31, 2014 3:03 AM

So... no answer ? I really don't want it to stop working in 30 days so I'm hoping someone could help me figure thisone before then.

Call this # for an answer 1-877-426-6010.  It is Microsoft Licensing group.

Cheers,
    Drew

Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com

Friday, October 31, 2014 4:59 AM
  • I entered the same key you provided and it came up with saying " That key can't be used to activate this type of windows edition, use a different key".

I am running Windows 10 preview 9841 and I recently had issues trying to update (like whenever I did an update, the following restart would always crash and I would have to reset the whole system again).

If you prefer more information let me know.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:37 AM
  • If you take the Download from HERE the install does not ask for a Key.  Although it is using this one, NKJFK-GPHP7-G8C3J-P6JXR-HQRJR.  The Download from this page gives Build 9841 and once that is in then, grab Build 9860.

If you hit a snag, wipe it out & begin again from scratch.  They are only betas, toss & redo.  They are not your main, daily driver... so, that's the whole idea, if something chokes, toss it & redo.  We are testing, so they are disposable.  Do it over, again.

Cheers,
    Drew

• Edited by Drew1903 Tuesday, November 4, 2014 11:20 AM
    Tuesday, November 4, 2014 11:18 AM
  • Super thank my Windows 10 TP build 9680 is now activated permanently.

Once again, thank you.(I'm sorry for my English I come from Czech Republic)

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 4:57 PM
  • Yes, but I've tried 9926 Enterprise, 9926 Pro, 10005 Enterprise, 10005 Pro.  The ISOs from my connect account and the 9926 ones from the public site.  Got to be something I'm doing or something to do with my HP Stream 7. 

But it doesn't seem to cause a problem except for the ugly message occasionally.

Then again, I did get a unhappy face this morning which caused me to reinstall from scratch!  Something to do with KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (win32kfull.sys).  Need to look this one up.

Monday, February 2, 2015 10:46 PM
  • "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (win32kfull.sys).  Need to look this one up."

Can find lots of info HERE

Cheers,
    Drew

• Edited by Drew1903 Tuesday, February 3, 2015 12:00 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Drew1903 Tuesday, February 3, 2015 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2015 12:00 AM

So we are now April the 1st and just installed the update to build 10049 and had too re-activate Windows 10 Enterprise Technical Preview using the recovery key.

What did you break today ? on second thoughts don't tell me, let me guess.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 11:43 AM
  • Just ran the update to new build 10061 - Enterprise edition and cannot re-active ?

Sunday, April 26, 2015 5:47 PM
  • did you ever get this fixed i have the same issue.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2015 2:42 PM
  • me too...
    Wednesday, April 29, 2015 3:41 PM
  • So it seems with every new build I keep getting de-activated.

However found the quickest way to fix is to use the command line and the Admin command prompt

slmgr /ipk VTNMT-2FMYP-QCY43-QR9VK-WTVCK

By the way this command is using the latest Key for (10074 onwards) for the enterprise edition 64 bit.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 5:14 PM
  • Thanks It's works for me.

Cheers !!!

Thursday, May 7, 2015 2:03 AM
  • Thank you, this method works!
    slmgr /ipk VTNMT-2FMYP-QCY43-QR9VK-WTVCK
    Saturday, May 16, 2015 12:06 PM
  • Use the slmgr.vbs (-upk and -ipk) tools in cmd with elevated permission to re-install product keys to activate windows if the other options do not work.
    • Proposed as answer by Hamza_Ali27 Sunday, May 24, 2015 6:25 PM
    Sunday, May 24, 2015 6:25 PM
  • This fixed the activation of Enterprise edition preview after trying all other commands, this did it first try! ty ty ty! 07/21/2015
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 7:46 PM