I want remove the locations of where my desktop background came from. RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, I'm not really sure how intelligent that sounded, haha. But I'll describe as much as I can.

When I right click on my desktop, I go into Personalize, then Desktop Background. And here's my small issue, but it's important to me.
    To the right of Location, there is a list of the folders I've gotten my desktop backgrounds from. However, I'm looking to remove that history.

For example, there are folders in there that no longer even exist, providing a meaningless link. For example, I had a folder named Random Images.
    I got a desktop background from there before, but now that folder has been deleted. Yet the directory is still there.

Can it be "deleted?"
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:32 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

By default, in Windows Vista's Desktop background applet, the Picture Location drop-down is preset with the following locations/entries:

Windows Wallpapers

Pictures

Sample Pictures

Public Pictures

Solid Colors

When you browse the dialog and choose an image file for the desktop wallpaper from a different location, the target folder path is added to the Picture Location drop-down listing.

Based on test on test machines, you can perform the following steps to clear the Desktop Background "Picture Location" History.

1.     Click Start, type regedit.exe and press ENTER

2.     Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Wallpapers \ Images

3.     In the right-pane, each value (from 0 to 9) stores a directory path where images are stored. To remove an entry from the Pictures Location drop-down listing, right-click on the corresponding registry value, and choose Delete.

4.     Exit the Registry Editor.

To clear all the custom locations (0-9) in the Picture Location drop-down box, you may also use the REG file wpmru_remove.reg available at the bottom of this page.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 8:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

By default, in Windows Vista's Desktop background applet, the Picture Location drop-down is preset with the following locations/entries:

Windows Wallpapers

Pictures

Sample Pictures

Public Pictures

Solid Colors

When you browse the dialog and choose an image file for the desktop wallpaper from a different location, the target folder path is added to the Picture Location drop-down listing.

Based on test on test machines, you can perform the following steps to clear the Desktop Background "Picture Location" History.

1.     Click Start, type regedit.exe and press ENTER

2.     Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Wallpapers \ Images

3.     In the right-pane, each value (from 0 to 9) stores a directory path where images are stored. To remove an entry from the Pictures Location drop-down listing, right-click on the corresponding registry value, and choose Delete.

4.     Exit the Registry Editor.

To clear all the custom locations (0-9) in the Picture Location drop-down box, you may also use the REG file wpmru_remove.reg available at the bottom of this page.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 8:34 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. It worked perfectly. Ahh, I can't thank you enough. That's much better. =]
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 2:12 PM