WSUS Failing to Download All Updates RRS feed

• Question

• I saw numerous posts about this but none of the resolutions worked for me.

I attempted to install WSUS role 3 different times each time with this same error message (see below).  Reinstalled the OS again completely and the same error message was generated again.  Fresh clean install of OS part of our domain.  WSUS install went smoothly.

We do not have a proxy setup on any of our networks.  We have WSUS deployed on our Production network and this works fine.  This WSUS is on our Training network.  Can ping to google and browse the internet with no issues.  Synchronization on WSUS works just fine.

Network Service has full permission on the WSUS directory as often suggested.  IIS appears to be configured just fine - checked each site for authentication against the TechNet guide.  SSL/Certificate is not configured installed but I never had to this on Production WSUS.

Error:

Content file download failed.
    Reason: HTTP status 403: The client does not have sufficient access rights to the requested server object.

Source File: /c/msdownload/update/software/updt/2015/03/windows8.1-kb3042085-v2-x64_9725d71fda1802bf665eec90793145b67862e734.cab 
    Destination File: E:\WSUS\WsusContent\34\9725D71FDA1802BF665EEC90793145B67862E734.cab

Any tool I can run to verify connectivity to Windows Updates?  

Any other ideas?  I am at a loss.
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 10:00 PM

Answers

• Okay...

Long story short it was our Content Filtering Service (CFS) in place from our SonicWall Firewall blocking the download.  Ironically the synchronization works fine.

So we do training internally and we do want our students getting out to the web during a training class.  So we block all internet sites expect for our website a few other websites they need during training.  CFS blocked Windows Updates downloads as well...

Using your advice - Anne He - I thought all right fine - lets patch this server.  Ran windows updates - failed.  Odd but Windows Updates behaves odd.  Restarted machine - still failed - okay fine - went to download Windows Update Troubleshooting.  This Site is Blocked By Your System Admin...  Thanks CFS. 

We are 560MB of our 40GB of downloads needed...

Thanks for your help.

• Marked as answer by OctopusTwo Thursday, October 27, 2016 2:20 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 2:20 PM

All replies

• Hi OctopusTwo,

>Content file download failed.
    Reason: HTTP status 403: The client does not have sufficient access rights to the requested server object.

This error usually occurs when the proxy settings are incorrect or the SSL settings for WSUS are incorrect. (Although you have already checked both of them)

1. What is the version of your WSUS server? If it's not the latest version, please upgrade your WSUS server.

2. Patch your WSUS server, enable it have installed all latest updates;

3. Check the firewall settings in your network, check if the packet is block by your network devices;

4. Check WSUS log in C:\program files\update services\logfiles, check if we may find useful information there;

5. Also run Server Cleanup Wizard and reindex WSUS database, check if it could help;

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 27, 2016 3:01 AM
  • Okay...

Long story short it was our Content Filtering Service (CFS) in place from our SonicWall Firewall blocking the download.  Ironically the synchronization works fine.

So we do training internally and we do want our students getting out to the web during a training class.  So we block all internet sites expect for our website a few other websites they need during training.  CFS blocked Windows Updates downloads as well...

Using your advice - Anne He - I thought all right fine - lets patch this server.  Ran windows updates - failed.  Odd but Windows Updates behaves odd.  Restarted machine - still failed - okay fine - went to download Windows Update Troubleshooting.  This Site is Blocked By Your System Admin...  Thanks CFS. 

We are 560MB of our 40GB of downloads needed...

Thanks for your help.

• Marked as answer by OctopusTwo Thursday, October 27, 2016 2:20 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 2:20 PM