Pc game "CD rom drive busy" with SP2, SP3 only starts wowexec and ntvdm.exe RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old PC game which people said they got working with XP (very rare game)

The only way i got this game working is to Virtually start W98 and mount the real CD

Else i get different errors and the game doesnt start in dos only windows enviroments i tried Dosbox.

Windows XP SP3
    installs the game ->  starts the game and nothing happens except 2 processes called
     wowexec.exe
    ntvdm.exe

Windows XP SP2
    CD_ROM drive is busy, close all other programs and try again. (sometimes it help to eject the disc)

Windows XP SP3 on my dads machine
    something about 16bit subfolders

So each machine i test gives different errors....  how wonderful

Can anyone tell me why there is a such differences on those 3 tests and what they mean possibly
    Best regards
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 7:01 PM

Answers

• Can you check the game compatibility with the vendor ? 

I guess, most of the vendors required at least Win XP SP3. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:01 AM
  • Hi,

Right click the installer and select properties, then try run it in compatibility mode.

Depending on the game itself, it may require a lower version of framework etc.

What is the name of the game and publisher/vendor?

M

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:34 PM

All replies

• Can you check the game compatibility with the vendor ? 

I guess, most of the vendors required at least Win XP SP3. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:01 AM
  • Hi,

Right click the installer and select properties, then try run it in compatibility mode.

Depending on the game itself, it may require a lower version of framework etc.

What is the name of the game and publisher/vendor?

M

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:34 PM