none
Need to install RDS in a new Windows Server 2016 without domain

Question

• I just installed my Server 2016 in Workgroup mode. However, I was not able to find any roles to install the RDS.

My 2 ADM remote desktop access work fine but I need 10 TS clients.

Can you tell me the procedure to install the terminal services if some one does not want to have an Active directory (domain)

Thank you

Christopher

Christopher

Monday, April 2, 2018 6:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1. Server Manager -- Add roles and features -- Role-based -- Server Roles -- Remote Desktop Services -- select RD Session Host and RD Licensing Role Services -- finish wizard.  Restart

2. Open gpedit.msc.  Set the licensing mode to match the type of purchased RDS CALs you have, and Specify the FQDN of your RD Licensing server (localhost is fine in your case)

Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Licensing\

Use the specified Remote Desktop licensing servers     Enabled

Set the Remote Desktop licensing mode     Enabled

3. Open RD Licensing Manager (licmgr.exe).  Activate the server, then Install your purchased RDS CALs

-TP

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 6:57 AM
  • TP

I am testing 2016 Storage Server Workgroup. Would it be the reason I do not see it in the role list?

Thank you for your time...

Christopher

Christopher

Correct.  You need Standard or Datacenter edition.
    Tuesday, April 3, 2018 8:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1. Server Manager -- Add roles and features -- Role-based -- Server Roles -- Remote Desktop Services -- select RD Session Host and RD Licensing Role Services -- finish wizard.  Restart

2. Open gpedit.msc.  Set the licensing mode to match the type of purchased RDS CALs you have, and Specify the FQDN of your RD Licensing server (localhost is fine in your case)

Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Licensing\

Use the specified Remote Desktop licensing servers     Enabled

Set the Remote Desktop licensing mode     Enabled

3. Open RD Licensing Manager (licmgr.exe).  Activate the server, then Install your purchased RDS CALs

-TP

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 6:57 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply but there is no more Remote Desktop Services roles in 2016 when you did not install AD! I ran down the list about 50 times and found nothing related to RDS.

In did install recently a 2012 server and it was indeed the solution but now... Nothing.

Could he be coming from the fact I am testing 2016 Storage Server Workgroup?

This is why I am seeking help.

Christopher

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, they are there.  Do not choose RDS installation option, instead choose Role-based or Feature-based option.  Then you will see Remote Desktop Services in the list, and can choose RD Session Host and RD Licensing.

The above is for Server 2016 Standard or Datacenter.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by William Liang Tuesday, April 3, 2018 8:17 AM
    Tuesday, April 3, 2018 7:56 AM
  • TP

I am testing 2016 Storage Server Workgroup. Would it be the reason I do not see it in the role list?

Christopher

Christopher

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 8:07 AM
  • TP

Christopher

Christopher

Correct.  You need Standard or Datacenter edition.
    Tuesday, April 3, 2018 8:08 AM
  • Here we go. 

Thanks a lot!

Christopher

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 8:41 AM
  • Hi,

Please remember to mark useful reply as answer, which would be much more efficient for other forum community members to find useful information.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 8:07 AM
  • I thought I did. 

Sorry for that.

And thanks for the answer!

Chris

Christopher

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 10:11 PM
  • This really simple steps to get RDS running on a workgroup server compare to getting it run on a DC with so many steps to perform.

One question, if I have 3 servers (all workgroup) and I have purchased 15 RDS User Cals and installed in one of the Server1, can I setup RDS for 2 other severs with 5 users to be rdp to each of these 2 servers and "Remote Desktop licensing servers" pointing to Server1 while setting up Server2 and Server3?

Meaning each of the 3 servers will have maximum of 5 remote desktop access.

Thanks.

Thursday, November 22, 2018 4:28 AM