SQL Server 2005 - move system databases RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to move sys databases in the new install of SQL 2005 and am about to give up (I have successfully moved sys databases before numerous times on SQL2000...)

I was going to move master and resource databases and have performed the following steps:

- edited path to master data and log files, added trace -T3608, restarted the server - everything ok

- trying to move mssqlsystemresource database, using

alter database mssqlsystemresource

modify file (name=data, filename='D:\sqldata\data01\mssqlsystemresource')

and getting 911 error ( Msg 911, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Could not locate entry in sysdatabases for database 'mssqlsystemresource'. No entry...)

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, May 18, 2006 5:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Moving the thread to the SQL Engine forum, where experts will probably tell you not to do this. :)

Paul

Thursday, May 18, 2006 10:34 PM
  • -- edited path to master data and log files, added trace -T3608, restarted the server - everything ok

You need to add trace flag -f to the above step. So, after you have moved master data and log, add trace -T3608 -f and restart the server. This is documented in http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms345408.aspx

An earlier post on this at http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=126761&SiteID=1 also has more details.

Let me know if that does not work.

Friday, May 19, 2006 1:48 AM
  • I did it!  I guess -f flag did the trick. However, I was only able to alter mssqlsystem resource database from sqlcmd - trying from EM gave me the same error as before. However, when I did 'alter database...' for other (model, msdb, tempdb) from EM, everything went fine.

Thanks for your help!

Friday, May 19, 2006 2:23 PM
  • Similar question...I am doing a SQL Server 2005 32bit to 64bit migration.  I have two servers that are identical (hardware wise) but SERVER A has W2K3 Enterprise 32 bit with SQL Server 2005 32 bit Enterprise and SEVER B has W2K3 Enterprise 64bit with SQL Server 2005 64 bit.  The USER databases on SERVER A are on our SAN. Can I copy all of the system databases to SERVER B?  I am trying to figure a way out where I can migrate to the new server without having to reinitialize my transactional replication.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 1:26 AM