Word moves to background after document loads RRS feed

• Question

• Word 2010 and Windows 7. This only appears to happen when opening a document by double clicking on it in Explorer. The document appears to open fine, but once it has completely loaded it moves to the background. That is to say, it moves behind the Explorer window. In addition, if you open a document in this manner the Word process does not end when the program is closed and the temp file is not removed. None of this happens if the document is opened from within Word.

So far I have disabled all addins, nuked the registry keys, repaired the installation and wiped out the normal.dot and dotm.

Thoughts?

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 12:46 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply. Turns out it was an issue with the file extensions. I deleted all of the Word extensions from H_KEY_CLASSES_ROOT and things work fine now.
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:24 PM

All replies

• Although I haven’t seen these exact symptoms, they do suggest a problem with the file associations. Since repairing didn’t work, see http://www.gmayor.com/document_not_found.htm.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:08 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. Turns out it was an issue with the file extensions. I deleted all of the Word extensions from H_KEY_CLASSES_ROOT and things work fine now.
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:24 PM
  • You are welcome.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:05 PM