Dragging from the address bar to desktop... Why open a new window? RRS feed

• Question

• Running 64bit Windows 7 Pro with SP1 installed. Also running Internet Explorer 11.

When I drag the icon from the address bar of IE to my desktop to create a shortcut to that webpage, the current tab will close and a new browser window opens and loads the page. Why does this happen, and more importantly, how can I stop it?

Sunday, July 27, 2014 12:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

right click on the web page and select "Create shortcut" from the context menu....

the drag from the Address bar only works for the favorites folder not the Desktop folder.... The Address bar drag default action is to Tear the current tab from the IE window.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by Calab Monday, July 28, 2014 4:36 AM
    Monday, July 28, 2014 1:44 AM
  • Hi Calab,

the good folks at connect responded with a solution.

using the SHIFT key with the drag does the job.

Hold the SHIFT key down, then click and drag the Address bar address to the Desktop.

Regards.

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by Calab Sunday, January 24, 2016 2:12 AM
    Monday, July 28, 2014 9:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

right click on the web page and select "Create shortcut" from the context menu....

the drag from the Address bar only works for the favorites folder not the Desktop folder.... The Address bar drag default action is to Tear the current tab from the IE window.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by Calab Monday, July 28, 2014 4:36 AM
    Monday, July 28, 2014 1:44 AM
  • Not perfect, but this works.

Dragging the icon did work before... I just can't remember how far back it changed. Might have even been something when I moved from Win 7 from XP.

Thanks!

• Edited by Calab Monday, July 28, 2014 4:36 AM
    Monday, July 28, 2014 4:35 AM
  • Hi yes... it did work before Tear-able tabs were introduced...

I opened a connect ticket at the MS Feedback channel for IE.

https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/details/930834/dragging-from-the-address-bar-to-desktop-why-open-a-new-window-tearable-tabs-breaks-drag-drop-to-desktop-from-addressbar

I don't think it will be a show stopper...

another workaround is to store all of your links in your Favorites folder (or Favorites Bar folder)...

then the Address bar autocomplete makes it easy to retrieve the web address and navigate back to the website....

If you are using the desktop to store your downloads (zips/whatever), there is no need for this as the IE Download Manager will retain a listing of downloaded files (until you clear it)... you can also choose to save your downloads to the Desktop folder I/o the default Downloads folder.

Rob^_^

Monday, July 28, 2014 5:21 AM
  • Hi Calab,

the good folks at connect responded with a solution.

using the SHIFT key with the drag does the job.

Hold the SHIFT key down, then click and drag the Address bar address to the Desktop.

Regards.

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by Calab Sunday, January 24, 2016 2:12 AM
    Monday, July 28, 2014 9:58 PM