none
Could I lose work by opening a project from PWA instead of Project? RRS feed

• Question

• Here is the scenario:

Due to network problems PMs are using autosave to save the project every 15 minutes.

Project manager1 creates a plan, edits it and publishes the plan from Project Pro.  They close and check in the plan.

Project manager2 opens the plan, edits it and saves the plan in Project Pro.  Makes lots of changes, but DOESN'T publish the plan.

Project manager1 reopens the plan for editing in Project Pro FROM PWA, doesn't see any of the changes made by PM2, but continues to edit and save the project every 5 minutes.

Project manager1 realizes the plan appears different.  Is it?  Did PM1 get the published version from opening from PWA, and by editing and saving that in PWA did they overwrite the changes that PM2 made back over the version in the Draft database?

In the real world, it appears that is what happened.   Luckily the previous draft version was backed up in archive, so we were able to restore that one, and only lose a little work.

I thought I had seen every way a plan could get mangled, but this was an interesting nuance I would like to understand. 

For some reason, even though I know that the published version displays on PWA, I thought that if I opened a project from PWA in Project Pro for editing, I would get the draft version by default.  Is that not the case?

Would love some thoughts from the experts out there...

Mark E Read Principal Sequence Advisors, Inc.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:51 PM

All replies

• Your understanding is correct.  You should open it in Draft (assuming it was in Edit mode).  It's possible that they opened the PDP but forgot to hit Edit - in which case they wouldn't see unpublished changes.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Saturday, April 12, 2014 1:30 AM