sequenced app content RRS feed

• Question

• I sequenced a new app. It runs well. Have a question about some app's components...

just for info:

1.the app is installed from the Application server. Visible effect: it creates a folder in root C: (C:\NewApp) and places couple of dlls into it).

2. After installation on client machine the shortcut for starting app must be copied from the Server and placed on the Desktop.

I did the exact steps as during regular PC installation during a sequencing. Fortunately, it worked from the first shot.

Vive APPV! :)

During standard installation Adobe SVG Viewer is installed. It appears in Control Panel. The provider confirmed that is not necessary on clients with higher versions of IE (that is my case).

So, after installation in sequencer, copying the shortcut to the desktop, running app and before I clicked "... Finished" I uninstalled Adobe SVG Viewer in Control Panel. Then clicked Finish... and run app from the GUI before saving the package.

I didn't see Adobe for proposed Run All/Selected. There was just one shortcut for the APP (exactly what I need).

However when checked VFS Adobe is present (in ..Common..see attach). It is really not big deal for me... Just want to know if removing a related to package app installed (in my case Adobe SVG) does help to not include unnecessary thing from the package. And is the right thing to do? VFS appearance is not a big deal. I guess I can just DELETE Adobe from ProgramFiles Common x86 before I hit FINISHED in sequencer and it will not appear in the package. Correct?

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Monday, March 2, 2015 3:13 PM

Answers

• The way that I look at it is this...

Will there be a reduction in size to the application that warrants the extra time it takes to remove the files in the sequencer?

I make an effort to simplify the sequencing (or re-sequencing) of App-V apps so that efforts to automate the sequencing of the applications in the future aren't more difficult.  You could accomplish this by creating a template that you use for this particular application that excludes those files and folders during sequencing.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Tuesday, March 3, 2015 12:06 PM
    Monday, March 2, 2015 9:51 PM
  • I do recommend cleanup of App-V packages to a point, you don't need to be as strict as in an MSI for example, but its always a good idea.
    It would probably work just deleting the Adobe files in this case, but generally I would recommend before capture removing SVG, or capturing on a machine without.
    Monday, March 2, 2015 3:47 PM
  • If it's not required by the application and you are sure of that, go ahead and delete.

I've noticed a couple of times, when trying to capture minor changes to a package, sometimes the sequencer doesn't pick up on them.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Monday, March 2, 2015 9:01 PM

All replies

• I do recommend cleanup of App-V packages to a point, you don't need to be as strict as in an MSI for example, but its always a good idea.
    It would probably work just deleting the Adobe files in this case, but generally I would recommend before capture removing SVG, or capturing on a machine without.
    Monday, March 2, 2015 3:47 PM
  • I don't have a control of SVG installation. It installs from Setup. As mentioned, before Finish I did remove SVG correctly from Control Panel. So I believe there is no SVG in the package but just traces  in Commonx86.

Thanks.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

• Unmarked as answer by pob579 Tuesday, March 3, 2015 12:06 PM
    Monday, March 2, 2015 3:52 PM
  • If it's not required by the application and you are sure of that, go ahead and delete.

I've noticed a couple of times, when trying to capture minor changes to a package, sometimes the sequencer doesn't pick up on them.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Monday, March 2, 2015 9:01 PM
  • The way that I look at it is this...

Will there be a reduction in size to the application that warrants the extra time it takes to remove the files in the sequencer?

I make an effort to simplify the sequencing (or re-sequencing) of App-V apps so that efforts to automate the sequencing of the applications in the future aren't more difficult.  You could accomplish this by creating a template that you use for this particular application that excludes those files and folders during sequencing.

Monday, March 2, 2015 9:51 PM
  • Thanks all...

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 12:07 PM