none
Vista 64bit SP1 upgrade? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a great machine, several actually, with Vista 32 bit Ultimate all loaded up and running very well.

Now Vista SP1 is here I am wondering whether to upgrade to 64bit Vista.

I have everything I need - lots of ram, 64 bit processors etc but I want, if possible, to maintain everything I have on my 32bit install of Vista.

The new Vista SP1 has a new 32 bit Vista to 64bit Vista upgrade route that I am hoping to take advantage of. Specifically I am hoping that Office 2007, Expression Studio and all my other software and tools will work after I upgrade to Vista 64bit.

Vista SP1 leads me to think now is the time to jump to 64bit.

Anyone tried this? What impact on my apps?

Is this a good idea or .... not?

Cheers.

Alex 

Friday, February 29, 2008 8:42 PM

Answers

• There is no direct upgrade path from a 32-bit version of Vista to the 64-bit version.  A "clean install" of the 64-bit version would be required.  SP1 does not change this fact.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 5:13 AM
  • some of your applications might not work on x64 edition, but mostly all will, for that you will need to purchase a64bit edition of windows vista, or wait till the slipstreamed version comes to market.. and yes you cannot install it onto a 32bit installation...

Sunday, March 2, 2008 7:10 AM

All replies

• There is no direct upgrade path from a 32-bit version of Vista to the 64-bit version.  A "clean install" of the 64-bit version would be required.  SP1 does not change this fact.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 5:13 AM
  • some of your applications might not work on x64 edition, but mostly all will, for that you will need to purchase a64bit edition of windows vista, or wait till the slipstreamed version comes to market.. and yes you cannot install it onto a 32bit installation...

Sunday, March 2, 2008 7:10 AM