Installing vista problems. Will not let me install on my SATA HDD RRS feed

• Question

• Well this is my first build and I got to the point of installing Vista with little problem.  However I have come to a stopping point.  When I get to the part in Vista installation where it asks you where you want to install, I choose my hard drive then after a few minutes it says it can not be installed without the drivers.  The mother board manual says there should not be any driver problems unless I am trying to use RAID but all that is disabled BIOS. I can also see the hard drive in BIOS.   Does anyone know what the problem could be?    Here is my current system:

Track   1    GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Track  1  Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250310AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Track  1  AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor Model  

Track  1  Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

Track  1  Antec earthwatts EA500 ATX12V v2.0 500W Power Supply - Retail

Track  1  ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-2014L1T - Retail

Track  1  Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
    Friday, December 14, 2007 3:43 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to suggest checking the BIOS settings. Make sure the hard drive were listed in BIOS's bootable devices.

Also you may like to rebuild BCD store with following steps:

Note: Please ensure that the DVD-ROM is the first booting device.

1. When prompted to press a key to boot from the CD or DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.
    2. Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer".
    3. Highlight the item related to Windows Vista and click "Next".
    4. In the dialog-box titled "System Recovery Options", click "Command Prompt" and type in the following command.

BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

5. If the command is successful, please close the Command Prompt window and reboot the computer.

If the problem still happens, please help to post the exact symptoms(for example, error code) here for further analysis.

I hope it helps.
    -----------------------------
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, December 17, 2007 10:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to suggest checking the BIOS settings. Make sure the hard drive were listed in BIOS's bootable devices.

Also you may like to rebuild BCD store with following steps:

Note: Please ensure that the DVD-ROM is the first booting device.

1. When prompted to press a key to boot from the CD or DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.
    2. Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer".
    3. Highlight the item related to Windows Vista and click "Next".
    4. In the dialog-box titled "System Recovery Options", click "Command Prompt" and type in the following command.

BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

5. If the command is successful, please close the Command Prompt window and reboot the computer.

If the problem still happens, please help to post the exact symptoms(for example, error code) here for further analysis.

I hope it helps.
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Monday, December 17, 2007 10:37 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as 'Answered' as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post didrectly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we'd love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:56 AM
  • My problem is that Vista install/repair CD gets to the repair scene....but does not see my installed windows on my sata drive.   in searchin next for driver...files...it only shows my two external drives...andnot my sata drives...and the one on which vista is installed.   Bios is set to   load from CD...and regularly to boot/load from my C: Sata drive.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:58 PM
  • Extact same problem with my computer, I have the seagate barracuta SATA HDD, with a ASUS M2NS-NVM motherboard. Installing Vista says it needs drivers for recogning SATA or RAID drives, and that none are on the installation disk (for some stange reason). The instructions on tectnet are helpful, they say to install the drivers when they are propted for....check. Seagate says they don't supply drivers for it's disks, the drivers are probably need for the SATA controller, on the ASUS motherboard. Tne ASUS site doesn't have my board tyoe listed, so no drivers there.

In short, the Vista installation is stopping becuase there are no controller / HDD drivers, and non of the three parties involved is keen to supply them. I do know on thing that does install straight away though - Windows XP!

Sunday, August 31, 2008 11:33 PM
  • Yes...this has been a problem for a long ...long time....and Vist..nor any post such as this has ssolved the Vista Repair using the Vista CD.

The sata drives do not need drivers.  

The controller...the sata drives work.....VISTA FAILS TO SEE MY VISTA INSTALLATION OF SATA DRIVE C.

VISTA DOES NOT SEE MY TWO SATA DRIVES...C AND M.    THE TWO DRIVES ARE AND HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH VISTA ALL OF THIS TIME.....AND VISTA....DOES NOT SEE THEM....AND ASKS  TO INSTALL MEDIA DRIVER.

I had my Vista on an IDE drive...it was too small for all needed.   I bought a sata drive ...installed it...and it apeard and worked as drive M:\.      I then bought another sata....installed it...and used the Seagate CD to transfer the old C: drive (ide) to the second Sata...which the Seagate CD shows as a New C  (sata) on which Vista is installed.

VISTA REPAIR....USING THE VISTA CD WHICH COST $240.00 FOR ....NOT AN UPGRADE....UPGRADES HAVE ONLY PRESENTED PROBLEMS WHEN HAVING TO REINSTALL...(KEEP ALL VERSIONS OF MICROSOFT...OS...YOU WILL HAVE TO FIND THE ONE....AFTER MANY YEARS OF USING MICROSOFT...WHO KEEPS THAT IN A PLACE TO FIND.   ONE OF THE STRANGE MICROSOFT WAYS TO PROTECT...NOT YOU...BUT MICROSOFT.  EVEN YOU PREVIOUS REGISTED VERSIOLNS WITH MICROSOFT ARE NOT SUFFICIENT FOR THAT...MICROSOFT HAS ALL OF THAT ....ALREADY....

Back to "Vista CD Repair".    you get to the repair my computer....no windows files are found?   No C and M (sata drives) with all your files...are lfound to load your Windows files....for repair.   Believe me...I have tried everything MS and other suppport persons and such as this moderator post.....molnths....and...still cannot use the Expensive (not an upgrage...full program)  to repair my Vista.     Thus...I have bought hundreds of dollors of programs advertising...complete Vista repair.

Forget it...they are a waste of mone...and do not work.

Just take a look at the update log for Vista.  How many?   And if you installed Vista over 90 days ago...Microsoft wants to charge for support?      My suggestion for those wanting to install Vista...WAIT UNTIL THE SECOND RELEASE...MANY OF THE PROBLEMS MAY BE RESOLVED...BUT...PAST EXPERIENCE WITH MICROSOFT FROM THE FIRST OS....BUGS,,PROBLEMS...AND WE ARE THE ONE TO REPORT THEM....WHAT ABOUT ms PROGRAMMERS?

WINDOWS XP.   NOT MICROSOFT IS OFFERING A "DOWNGRADE TO XP" FROM VISTA.   

UNLESS YOUR ARE WILLING TO SPEND MUCH MONEY FOR COMPUTERS COMPATIBLE WITH VISTA (ALLTHE PROBLEMS ARE NOT RESOLVED)...AND YEARS AND TIME AND MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN.  SAVE YOUR MONEY...FOR A COLMPUTER OS THAT WORKS.   AN OLD CHEVROLET THAT RUNS....IS ADVICE TO KEEP IT...AS WITH ANY OS THAT NOW WORKS.  REMEMBER ALL THE 7 YEARS FIXING WINDOWS XP?

Monday, September 1, 2008 11:36 PM
  • Problem answered?  No.  We gave up... If MS cannot fix for Vista to see sata drives...for Vista Repair...no wonder users cannot install Vista.     How luckiy they are...to have to continue using  XP.

Monday, September 1, 2008 11:39 PM
  •  

I just tried the same thing (replacing the SATA hard drive, which is the 3rd one) on the unused SATA hard drive on the other PC with the same results. This time I got a different error code see attachment (was 0x80070003 on the other two; this SATA its 0x80300002). This time I recorded everything as shown below.

On boot up with SATA HD light bright does not flicker loading files at first up to 'install Widows Page' all OK, 'Serial Number' all OK, 'accept terms' all OK, install custom (advance) OK (I did not get a choice on this). Then the HD light goes dim and flashes about once a second not brightly just a dim flashing. Get to section one (collecting information) and stops with Error code  0x80300002. 

Windows can not install required files. The file doeds not exist. Make sure all files rtequired for installation are available, and restart the installation.

I know that all 3 SATA drives are in good condition and were working in my Vista 64 PC up to a week ago. Vista installation can not format them FDISK can nopt help and installing them in the Vista PC and formatting them stll does nopt get them reconised on the Vista 32 installation. I have installed Visa about 15- 20 times before and its alawys worked before plus the Betas and the RC's so I am not the new kid on the block.

I have formatted the hard drive SATA Samsung 160GB HD on this PC checked there was nothing on the HD using windows explorer then I put the hard drive in the other PC ( with no other hard drives in it).

I click on install and after some flickering of the HD light (not a continuous light but about 1 flash a second), after about 5 - 10 mins I get the message in the photo attachment above. Searched the Microsoft site and it only talks about that error when installing service pack 1 in Vista. As I can not even install Vista there is no way this can be right.

How do I do something with MBR?

The BIOS can see the drive the Computer disk managerment cans see it but I can not format the SATA disc and as such VISTA can not see it to install. FDISK, Windows 98 disc, and formatting it in Vista 64-bit does not work on any of the 3 hard drives.

There is a deep problem they have here, talking up Windows 7 when Vista is still a mess makes Steve Jobs very happy.

Jannerhank
    • Proposed as answer by tcng Friday, December 4, 2009 2:13 AM
    Friday, October 31, 2008 9:44 PM
  • Speaking of SATA drives. I installed Vista about 3 or 4 times on my machine in the past on my SATA HDD with my old IDE DVD-R. My DVD-R crapped out after 7 years so I had to get a new one. I got and LG SATA DVD-R and I can no longer install Vista properly. I installed Windows 7 so I am trying to do a fresh install of Vista again and when it reaches the finalizing stage it blue screens and reboots and blue screens and reboots...etc forever. So how the heck can I get this to work? Do I have to install it and then when I get to the point unplug the drive? Could it be a problem with my new burner because I have no problems with any thing else. I had to reload Windows 7 to use my computer again. I would love to be able to do that and the only thing that has changed since the last time I installed is my DVD burner. Any ideas?
    TJ
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:48 AM
  • Thanks a lot!  It took me more than 8 hours to find a working solution!
    Sunday, December 16, 2012 6:55 PM