Word Templates RRS feed

• Question

• Can anybody point me in the right direction for adding Word Templates to Sharepoint document libary

I have a added a template to the libary if i open as read only i cannot add any thing to the template, if i open it in edit mode then i can add things however the template is then saved to what has been added.

I am sure i am doing something wrong and i am new to sharepoint.

Thank you

John

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 11:25 AM

Answers

• Go to the Library Settings page from here you can edit the default template for the library. You can also create a new content type that has a separate template and add the ctype to the library.

Scot

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 11:38 AM
  • I'd go with the content type approach as suggested by Scot

go to site settings.

under galleries select "site content type".

create a new content type -select document as parent type and select to save as Custom Content types.

in the advanced settings for the content type - upload your template here.

Now go back to your new document library.

in the advanced settings check "yes" to "allow management of content types"

then in the library settings there is an option to select from existing content types.

select the new custom content type you created earlier.

this should allow you to select new <content type> from the new document option in the ribbon.

this should do the trick.

regards,

Counie

Monday, September 6, 2010 3:23 PM

All replies

• Go to the Library Settings page from here you can edit the default template for the library. You can also create a new content type that has a separate template and add the ctype to the library.

Scot

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 11:38 AM
  • Hi Scot

Thanks for replying but i am still at a loss i dont think that i am really understanding the whole content types thing here,

I did what you said i added the Template to the documnet libary but i am still unable to enter the informatioin into the fields.

Just to refresh my situation, all i have is a word template that people use to fill out there vehicle milege i just want them to fill that out print or save it somewhere without them overiting the template.

John

Monday, September 6, 2010 3:15 PM
  • I'd go with the content type approach as suggested by Scot

go to site settings.

under galleries select "site content type".

create a new content type -select document as parent type and select to save as Custom Content types.

in the advanced settings for the content type - upload your template here.

Now go back to your new document library.

in the advanced settings check "yes" to "allow management of content types"

then in the library settings there is an option to select from existing content types.

select the new custom content type you created earlier.

this should allow you to select new <content type> from the new document option in the ribbon.

this should do the trick.

regards,

Counie

Monday, September 6, 2010 3:23 PM
  • Pepps, you don't upload the template.  You have to either create a content type using this Word doc as its template, or you edit the default, built-in template within your doc lib so that it references your Word doc.  Either way, you have to work with content types to get this done.  Never just upload your template to a doc lib, because then it just becomes another file.  You don't use SharePoint like a shared drive - it takes some getting used to.

Also, InfoPath is probably far better for providing a vehicle mileage form than Word.  Either way, please don't have them print.  Just have them use it as a content type or form template, then submit/save the filled document right back to the doc lib.  That's how SharePoint works - it's basic functionality since 2003.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Monday, September 6, 2010 11:22 PM
  • I think i am understanding this now like you said it takes some getting used to i just have one more quick question, I found this great article http://blogs.3sharp.com/davidg/archive/2007/06/07/3321.aspx which is exactly what i was looking for and i have followed it up to section 3, the article is reffering to Sharepoint 2007 and mentions creating a new document information panel for the site content type.

Everything is fine until it says On the site content type page click document information panel settings, However in sharepoint foundation this does not seem to be there, I have navigated to the following

Site Settings,Gallery section,Site Content Types, In The custom content types section i have click on the one that i created, but i cannot see the document information panel settings.

Thanks again for your great Help

John

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:32 PM
  • Is your content type a document content type or list content type?  I know we're talking about Word templates, but I just wanted to make sure.  The instructions you see are correct - I've done it many times, but I haven't tried in Foundation, I only use Server typically.  The DIP is an InfoPath form, so it may not be available in SPF, but I hope that's not the case.  I can test tonight from home where I have Server and SPF available.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 10:41 PM
  • Hi Yes it is a document type, thanks for looking into this.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:18 PM
  • Hi Clayton

Have you managed to check SPF yet to see if it is included.

Thanks

John

Thursday, September 9, 2010 2:46 PM