SCE and ForeFront RRS feed

• Question

• All,

I have a deployment of SCE 2007 on our network, however we also have ForeFront both client and SP/Exchange server ready to deploy if we wish.

However I noticed that ForeFront has WSUS and some MOM components in it. Are ForeFront and SCE compatible, as we use SCE for Microsoft Updates. Not looking at deploying on the same server, but obviously the client agent for SCE and ForeFront will be on all client machines.

Thanks,

Steve.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 12:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Steve,

Absolutely, the Distro role is purely there for WSUS v2 to enable more regular downloads of the content from the servers, as wsus v2 only supports natively 1 download a day... WSUS v3 can be configured to check as many times a day as you wish, so just choose that as you like and you should be all done !

cheers

Chris

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

The SCE Components you are referring to should be as simple as WSUS v3 and OpsManager 2007. I'm not sure on the official Microsoft answer in terms of support, but technically there should be no problem at all.

FCS recommends the use of WSUS, and SCE includes wsus v3, which will work absolutely fine with FCS. I would recommend enabling the auto-approval of virus definitions within wsus, and then just keep using it. The FCS Distribution Server Role does not need to be installed with v3 of WSUS, only v2 to enable more regular downloads of content

OpsMgr 2007 Agent quite happily co-exists with the FCS Agent, which is based on MOM2005, so you should see absolutely no problems at all

cheers

Chris

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:50 PM
  • Thanks for the prompt reply Chris.

Just to confirm, does that mean that I shouldn't install the Distro Server role within FCS and just continue using WSUS through SCE instead?

Thanks,

Steve.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:06 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Absolutely, the Distro role is purely there for WSUS v2 to enable more regular downloads of the content from the servers, as wsus v2 only supports natively 1 download a day... WSUS v3 can be configured to check as many times a day as you wish, so just choose that as you like and you should be all done !

cheers

Chris

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:12 PM
  • Nice one Chris, thanks for your help.

Now just got to prise SQL 2005 on the Win2k8 Server! :-)

Cheers again,

Steve.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 3:12 PM