none
Dell XPS no longer boots in the Legacy Mode after Bios V2.2.1 update RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello everyone, I posted this question here because this is the closest subject matter to my problem.

I have a Dell XPS 8900 Desktop previously running in the Legacy (Basic) Boot Mode.  My desktop is very complex with possibly 50 programs running under Win 10 on an SSD.   On May 5, I installed a Dell recommended Bios upgrade to V2.2.1.  Immediately on reboot the machine would not boot to the default Legacy SSD but instead switched to a standard HDD and booted a fresh Image of Win 10 (UEFI) with a factory desktop.   I was totally dismayed.  My “end user” analysis is that the Bios upgrade “disabled any Legacy Boot operations”.  Dell says this is not true but in a four hour Dell Level 1 Tech Support Session, the Tech could not find the problem or a solution.  I sent the machine to Dell and they had it for a week.  They put a new motherboard in it but that was not the solution.  The machine is back home but the problem is not solved and my machine is virtually unusable.  Has anyone come up against a problem like this?  If so any ideas how do I get my machine to boot in the Legacy Mode?  My Legacy Desktop is somewhat complex and the software was expensive so reinstalling from scratch is the LAST RESORT and very undesirable!   Thanks....Hap

Monday, June 4, 2018 1:21 PM