SCDWGroomJob Not Running and Forefrnt DB Server disk Filling Up RRS feed

• Question

• I've had an on going problem with the DTSTask not running; I add space to the SystemCenterReporting DB and it runs and completes.  Now I am running out of disk space. My SystemCenterReporting Datbase is at around 90 Gigs. I found this article about grooming the SystemCenterReporting DB:

http://ops-mgr.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!3D3B8489FCAA9B51!147.entry

After reading this, I realized that my SCDWGroomJob has not been running in a long, long time.   Now when I try to run it, I receive the following error:

Date  10/11/2010 7:10:24 AM
    Log  Job History (SCDWGroomJob)

Step ID  1
    Server  DWTFRNTDB
    Job Name  SCDWGroomJob
    Step Name  DWGroomingStep
    Duration  00:08:28
    Sql Severity  21
    Sql Message ID  3314
    Operator Emailed  
    Operator Net sent  
    Operator Paged  
    Retries Attempted  0

Executed as user: DWT-DOMAIN\DZ031562. ...ve been terminated by the server. [SQLSTATE HY000] (Error 0)  The transaction log for database 'SystemCenterReporting' is full. To find out why space in the log cannot be reused, see the log_reuse_wait_desc column in sys.databases [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 9002)  The transaction log for database 'SystemCenterReporting' is full. To find out why space in the log cannot be reused, see the log_reuse_wait_desc column in sys.databases [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 9002)  During undoing of a logged operation in database 'SystemCenterReporting', an error occurred at log record ID (8007:937300:238). Typically, the specific failure is logged previously as an error in the Windows Event Log service. Restore the database or file from a backup, or repair the database. [SQLSTATE HY000] (Error 3314)  The log for database 'SystemCenterReporting' is not available. Check the event log for related error messages. Resolve any errors and restart the database. [SQLSTATE HY000...  The step failed.

I can add more space to any of the temp databases to get this to run and then begin to groom the SystemCenterReporting Database down to a more reasonable size but which TEMPDB should I add more space to?   TempDB or ReportServerTempDB??

If I can get the SCDWGroomJob to run at least once, I think I can get a starting point for beginning to groom the SystemCenterReporting Database per the article linked above.

Thank you for the help,

Dave Zuver

ADDITION:

I am also trying to run this script as recommended in a KB article but it also times out.  I think my SystemCenterReporting DB is just too large.  It hasn't been groomed since 11/2009.  Is there a way to just delete the Database or purge it and start again ???

Declare

@tempdays int

Declare

@daysdiff int

Declare

@dayskeep int

set

@daysdiff = 1

set

@dayskeep = 160

:

select

@tempdays = datediff(dd, min(timestored), getdate()) from sdkeventview

set

@tempdays = @tempdays - 1

set

@tempdays = @tempdays - @daysdiff

select

@tempdays

IF

(@tempdays < @dayskeep)

BEGIN

select

'Finished Grooming'

return

END

select

'start grooming in a new loop'

select

@tempdays

IF

(@tempdays > @dayskeep)

BEGIN

Exec

p_updategroomdays 'SC_AlertFact_Table', @tempdays

Exec

p_updategroomdays 'SC_AlertHistoryFact_Table', @tempdays

Exec

p_updategroomdays 'SC_AlertToEventFact_Table', @tempdays

Exec

p_updategroomdays 'SC_EventFact_Table', @tempdays

Exec

p_updategroomdays 'SC_EventParameterFact_Table', @tempdays

Exec

p_updategroomdays 'SC_SampledNumericDataFact_Table', @tempdays

END

exec

dbo.p_GroomDatawarehouseTables

select

getdate()

DBCC

opentran

goto

Groom_Again

Groom_Again

• Moved by Miles Zhang Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:17 AM (From:Forefront Client Security Setup and Configuration)
    Monday, October 11, 2010 3:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• I bumped the SystemCenterReportingLog to 35 gigs and ran the above grooming query again; this time it took three hours to give me the error about the SystemCenterReportingLog is full.  How much do I need to give it, anyway?

Also, to my orginal question, can I just clear it out completely and start new?   I don't care about all that past data anyway.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:03 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the post.

Please refer to this post: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Forefrontclientgeneral/thread/f824e05e-03fb-425b-acfb-ff09945983aa

Regards,

========

After receiving a lot of feedbacks from the community, it was decided to conduct the Forefront Products and Technologies Forums consolidation to improve forum discoverability and reduce customer efforts. This forum will be locked down at the end of Oct. For continued information about Forefront Client Security Setup and Configuration, please post to Forefront Client Security General forum at: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Forefrontclientgeneral/threads. On Oct 25<sup>th</sup>, forum engineers will move any new threads to the Forefront Client Security General forum.

Please post a reply to this announcement if you have any feedback on this decision or the process. Thank you for your understanding.

Nick Gu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:48 AM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 7:11 AM