none
Microsoft Project 2019 - update milestone automatically RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all - my scenario is as follows:

• I have a project plan (say 1000 lines) and I want to pull up 15 key milestones at the very top of the plan
    • These 15 key milestones are built in the 1000 lines and are therefore duplicates
    • I would like 15 key milestones dates and % complete to automatically update based on its predecessor (which is the key milestone embedded in the 1000). Therefore when the milestone is market complete in the detailed plan, the top 15 milestones would automatically update

Is there a way of doing the above? I know that this isn't best practice but it is a common way of working of where I currently am. 

Thank you in advance (hopefully)!

• Edited by Ramster1992 Wednesday, February 20, 2019 8:07 AM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2019 8:06 AM

All replies

• Ramster1992,

I already answered this in the office forum. 

I know exactly what you are talking about. It is a common practice to duplicate at the top of the list those milestones which are buried down in the list somewhere.

Hopefully, the one down in the list (say "A") is a FS0 predecessor of the duplicate at the top of the list (say "B"), both of them have zero duration, and A is the only predecessor of B.

Here's how. Copy the % complete of A, and use paste special, past link to paste it into the % complete of B.

You may have to press F9 to force a recalculation to refresh the field of B.

You may also want to have the Edit Links button somewhere on your ribbon. Right click on the ribbon and customise ribbon and find the command and stick it on the ribbon.

That's the how, but my advice is don't bother. You have to maintain the links, sometimes force the update etc. If you give the file to someone else, you have to explain it, there's a warning about the links when you open the file. Just an extra bit of complication for nothing.

Although I know this business of duplicating the milestones is a common practice, it sucks and I wish people would stop doing it. You either have to update manually, which is not really difficult, or else go to this trouble of copy/paste links. I think it would be better to have a filter which finds the 15 tasks/milestones and just run the filter, or some other approach.

Trevor Rabey
    PERFECT PROJECT PLANNING
    Wednesday, February 20, 2019 9:25 AM
  • I agree with Trevor, here's how I would do this.

1. set up a custom field to identify those milestones 

2. create a filter to filter on just those milestones using the custom field

3. create a view that uses the filter.

4. teach users how to use the view. 

It's easy a better than what you have

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 1:35 PM