drive e is bitlocker encrypted. RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to unluck my flash drive (e) it ask me for a password.  I don't know what that password is.  I go to other options and it wants a 48 recovery digit.  I am stumped.  I never used a password on this drive and I don't know where to find this 48 recovery digit.
    Sunday, December 4, 2016 5:31 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Did anyone ever use your flash drive?
    Apparently, your flash drive has been encrypted using Bitlocker. If you did not enable Bitlocker on this flash drive, it must be someone else, try find him and ask him for password and recovery key. To unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive, we do need password or recovery key. Without password and recovery key, the only way to access the drive is format and try again, but your data in this drive will be lost after formatting.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 5, 2016 2:18 AM
  • I see two possible explanations:

1 you attached that device to your company's computers as well and there it got encrypted through some software that enforces it

2 Someone played a joke on you. All he needs is to get his hand on the drive for a few seconds.

Without the recovery key or password, you cannot access the data.

If 1) might apply to you, you should visit your company's admin and tell him the bitlocker recovery ID as you see it displayed (first 8 characters suffice).

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 1:06 PM