none
Mutiple Instances of Project Online vs. Unique Permissions RRS feed

• Question

• My IT PMO team has implemented Project Online for our internal IT projects. We now have a contractor who's going to be developing/implementing a few IT systems for us. I'd like that contractor to also utilize Project Online, so that I have all of my organization's IT projects in one place, and I can view all of them as portfolio in Project Center, including reports.  When the vendor accesses Project Center, I want them to only be able to see their projects, not all of my organization's projects.  And, I want them to be able to run portfolio reports, but just on their projects.

What's the best approach for this?  Giving the contractor "Portfolio Manager" or "Portfolio Viewer" results in them seeing all projects, and all risks/issues, late tasks, and other items being pulled into portfolio reports. 

Should I create a separate instances of Project Online?  Or, is there a good way to create a separate "Portfolio Manager - Contractor" permission that limits which projects they can see?

Thursday, October 12, 2017 8:27 PM

All replies

• Hi, sounds like the security group „project manager“ is the right one for your contractor. Project Managers do only see their own projects by default. Reporting could be done by the /projectserver feed, which considers the permissions of the respective role. It is mainly used by developers. Here you can find a documentation: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj712612.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396 With the /projectdata feed reporting is much easier, because tables like projects, tasks, assignments is included. Unfortunately it is an all or nothing decision, so that‘s not the right thing for you.

Best regards,

Julian, PMP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE

Blog: https://project-brain.com

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Proposed as answer by Julian Bönigk Monday, October 16, 2017 5:53 AM
    Friday, October 13, 2017 6:01 AM