none
Group Policy not removing 'Add Printers' option on computers

Question

• I am trying to prevent the addition of printers on domain computers in Devices and Printers. I do not want the Add Printers Option to appear.  I have Windows 8.1 computers.  In group policy I have set User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Printers\ Disable the addition of printers to enabled and set User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Printers \Browse the network to find printers to Disabled.

I have also set Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \Printers\Add Printer Wizard - Network scan page (Managed networks) to disabled

and Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \Printers \Printer browsing to disabled.  

However, on the computers even after I do a gpupdate \force, the Add a printer option is there and when I click on it I can browse all the printers in AD.  I only want printers to be installed via Group Policy. I do not want users to be able to add network printers. I've rebooted, made sure all updates are applied but I'm still at a loss.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 8:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>on the computers even after I do a gpupdate \force, the Add a printer option is there and when I click on it I can browse all the printers in AD

I did a test on my Windows 8 client in my lab by following your description. It's true that the settings we used won't remove Add a printer option. However, if the settings get applied correctly, when we click the option, the system will notify you This operation has been cancelled due to the restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

Here, we can run cmd gpresult/h gpreport.html to collect group poilcy result report to check how the policy settings got applied. Note, to collect comptuer part settings, we need to run the command with admin privileges.

TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:49 AM
  • I did that and it says the group policy got applied. However, When I go to devices and printers I can still click on Add a printer.  I still get the popup box that searches for printers and also allows me to search for printers.
    Friday, December 12, 2014 2:56 PM
  • Hi,

>>When I go to devices and printers I can still click on Add a printer.

What user account did we use to log onto the computer? If we try to use a standard domain user account, will the user still be able to search printers via Add a printer wizard?

TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 5:05 AM