Can't modify users settings anymore RRS feed

• Question

•  

Something must have happened. I installed Steady State recently and have been using it successfully for a few months. Today I went in to modify one of the accounts and I get a pop up "Some restrictions were not applied because the user account you are logged in to does not have permission to make the change. Log in to an account that has sufficient permissions, and then try again"

I am logged in as Administrator. What more can I do? I checked and Administrator is a member of the Administrators group. I don't know of any account with more privileges.

I tried uninstalling Steady State and re-installing it (did many Google searches to get the way to do it), but that didn't solve the problem either.

Any ideas?

Saturday, September 27, 2008 1:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

SteadyState is not related to Sharepoint in any way, so I wouldn't expect any interaction between the two.

The error message you saw is shown if any operation returns "access denied" while updating the user's profile.  Part of updating the user's profile is updating an XML file here (assuming you're using XP--on Vista it will be different):

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Shared Computer Toolkit\XML\User.[username].XML

One possibility is that your admin account is unable to write or create that file. 

Thanks,
    Rob
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 5:05 AM

All replies

• It's more complex then I expected. Steady State is an extension on Sharepoint, as I understand it. The inherent permissions and roles are surely passed down from Sharepoint. I did find a guide in pdf-format for you .... and me. In Sharepoint you cannot change any permissions as long as the service is running. There seem to be lots more of questions on Steady State then information. Authoring permissions is a class apart, the dependancy-model is even more complex then your services. Plus there are some actions you can only perform via the command line. I'm just getting into all this so I hope I've been of any help.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/8/b/e8b7c732-93b3-4f0b-aab0-5526cc8505db/Windows%20SteadyState%20Handbook.pdf

Shems.
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 3:39 AM
  • Hi,

SteadyState is not related to Sharepoint in any way, so I wouldn't expect any interaction between the two.

The error message you saw is shown if any operation returns "access denied" while updating the user's profile.  Part of updating the user's profile is updating an XML file here (assuming you're using XP--on Vista it will be different):

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Shared Computer Toolkit\XML\User.[username].XML

One possibility is that your admin account is unable to write or create that file. 

Thanks,
    Rob
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 5:05 AM
  •  

After some reading I realise it's no extension of Sharepoint at all. It's designed for xp.

To say the two are not related in any way is a bit far fetched. I see the point you're trying to make in respects to my error.

Still, I think, the principals of the two are the same; Steady State is designed to give xp a server role that already exists in win2003 server ???

Shems

Sunday, September 28, 2008 5:29 AM
  • I am experiencing the same problem with SteadyState on a Windows XP computer (with SP3). However, the problem computer is one of many at our public library and only this one computer exhibits the problem.

When SteadyState is running, I can see the file:

being created. (In my case, the file is named "User.all.xml".) So it looks like the program has permissions to create the file. I can make a copy of it while the program is running. It is 177 KB in size and looks like a "normal" XML file inside. However, as soon as I go to save the updated user profile, I get the error message described in the original post. When I exit SteadyState, the XML file is deleted.

So I suspect the problem is in something other than this file (but that's just a hunch). I will try deleting the User account and recreating it to see if that helps.

Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:32 PM
  • Deleting the "problem" user account and recreating it solved the problem for me.

Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:59 PM