SCOM 2007 R2 : monitoring Oracle on AIX ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

the question has been asked several times here but never got e real answer so here I go... I need to monitor Oracle on Windows AND AIX servers. I know that Bridgeways have an Oracle MP that works with both Windows and Unix but from what I've read, I only found Unixes like Red Hat. No written things concerning support for Oracle on AIX. I sent emails to Bridgeways but got no answer.

So, has anyone here worked with this MP and can tell me if I can monitor Oracle on Windows AND AIX with this product ?

Thanks in advance :)!

P.

Friday, August 5, 2011 7:53 AM

All replies

• I looked into third party MPs that would support Oracle db monitoring on AIX (no Windows sorry) a little over  a month ago and really only came back with one option which was Qwest.  The Qwest Management Xtensions documentation doesn't do a great job of summarizing exactly how they work or listing exactly what monitors/rules are included in the pack.  From what I can tell the tool runs queries remotely which takes AIX platform out of the picture and may help you accomplish getting the data into SCOM that you need.

I spoke to Bridgeways about developing an AIX compatible pack at that time too.  They were certainly interesting in the idea however I wasn't ready to pull the trigger due to the fact it would take several months for them to complete it.  If they receive more interest from the community they may deliver it which would be beneficial to all of us.

Last, I'm currently looking into these open source MPs to see if support is available http://xsnmp.codeplex.com/releases/view/56096

Friday, August 5, 2011 1:56 PM
  • Thanks for the info Jon. I also had Quest in mind but what I hate about it is that it's not a real MP. You have to implement their framework and let it do the job. It's like installing a second monitoring tool in fact, even if it works with SCOM. I have the feeling that quality is not the same from one extension to another and having heard from them through several different sources, they're far from being reliable (one of my client had to build a Patrol infra to monitor ESX Servers as Quest was not able to have its own ESX Extension for SCOM working).

But I may be stuck with them as I need to monitor both environments - AIX & Windows. The xSNMP Oracle MP monitors only Oracle for Linux/Unix. I'd love to go the Bridgeway way but I do'nt wanna end up with 1 MP for Oracle/Win and another one for Oracle/AIX. Talking about Dridgeway, how did you get in touch with them ? Via the form on their website ?

Thanks again and have a nice week end.

P.

Friday, August 5, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Thanks for the info Jon. I also had Quest in mind but what I hate about it is that it's not a real MP. You have to implement their framework and let it do the job. It's like installing a second monitoring tool in fact, even if it works with SCOM. I have the feeling that quality is not the same from one extension to another and having heard from them through several different sources, they're far from being reliable (one of my client had to build a Patrol infra to monitor ESX Servers as Quest was not able to have its own ESX Extension for SCOM working).

But I may be stuck with them as I need to monitor both environments - AIX & Windows. The xSNMP Oracle MP monitors only Oracle for Linux/Unix. I'd love to go the Bridgeway way but I do'nt wanna end up with 1 MP for Oracle/Win and another one for Oracle/AIX. Talking about Dridgeway, how did you get in touch with them ? Via the form on their website ?

Thanks again and have a nice week end.

P.

We trialed some of the Bridgeways MPs and worked through some issues.  During one of the calls I told them I'm also interested in Oracle monitoring on AIX platform.

Good luck in your quest and keep us up to date with the solution you go with

Friday, August 5, 2011 3:18 PM
  • In Q4 of 2011 OpsLogix will be releasing a Management Pack for Oracle 10g and 11g. As always the Management Pack will be fully integrated and native to System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2.

For those curious about the Management Pack we included a few preview screenshots:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.268983269797660.78706.215531011809553

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:08 PM
  • Ok Jordy, thanks, but will it monitor Oracle on AIX ? That was the original question....
    Friday, October 7, 2011 3:06 PM