Where are shared mailboxes stored? RRS feed

• Question

• We are planning to Migrate from office 2010 to office 2016. One of the requirements is that al shared mailboxes users have attached in outlook 2010 should be available for them when they start Office 2016 for the first time.

Normaly this will be stored in their .OST file, but because we work with Citrix we don't allow our users to have .OST files. Also Shared mailbox acces are group based permissions in our environment instead of personal permissions, so exchange won't automatically open the mailboxes when the users connect.

My question in short, where does outlook store the connected mailboxes a user has connected to their outlook in 2010?

• Moved by Steve Fan Monday, February 26, 2018 8:21 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Friday, February 23, 2018 8:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Jerell,

Based on my knowledge, Exchange account has a feature named auto-mapping which automatically opens mailboxes with Full Access permissions in a delegate’s Outlook client.

However, as you mentioned above, shared mailbox access is group-based permissions in your environment, so shared mailbox won't be automatically added when users open Outlook. In this case, I'm afraid that we may need to add these shared mailboxes manually.

Here is a blog for your reference.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Hope the information above is useful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, March 1, 2018 8:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by JerellJ(ProactVX) Friday, March 2, 2018 8:06 AM
    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, you are using Exchange account on online mode, right? In this case, all the settings for Shared Calendar are saved on the server.

>>My question in short, where does outlook store the connected mailboxes a user has connected to their outlook in 2010?

I may be not so clear with this question. Do you mean check a list of all the shared mailboxes that a user added before? 

Any updates, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, February 26, 2018 8:56 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates with this issue?

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:38 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Our users are indeed in online mode. And we are looking for a possibility to automatically re-add all the mailboxes that users have added before.

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 11:08 AM
  • Hi Jerell,

Based on my knowledge, Exchange account has a feature named auto-mapping which automatically opens mailboxes with Full Access permissions in a delegate’s Outlook client.

However, as you mentioned above, shared mailbox access is group-based permissions in your environment, so shared mailbox won't be automatically added when users open Outlook. In this case, I'm afraid that we may need to add these shared mailboxes manually.

Here is a blog for your reference.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Hope the information above is useful to you.

Regards,

Perry

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, March 1, 2018 8:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by JerellJ(ProactVX) Friday, March 2, 2018 8:06 AM
    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:47 AM