SYSVOL replication problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Microsoft supply multiple VMs for an AD training course and the two DCs for Adatum.com refuse to replicate SYSVOL correctly. I suspect it is due to the age of the VMs.

I have found a fix that is rather laborious and not suited to the students doing themselves!
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2218556/how-to-force-an-authoritative-and-non-authoritative-synchronization-fo 

The "tricky" bit is changing the value of an attribute in ADSIEDIT from TRUE to FALSE (and later back again) and I was wondering how I might achieve this in PowerShell.

Default naming context [LON-DC1.Adatum.com]
    DC=Adatum,DC=com,ou=Domain Controllers,cn=Lon-DC1,cn=DFSR-LocalSettings,cn=Domain System Volume,cn=SYSVOL Subscription
    attrubute msDFSR-Enabled

Thanks in anticipation of your brilliance
    SGB

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 8:22 AM

Answers

• Set-AdObject$dn -Add @{'msDFSR-Enabled'=$true}

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by GutBucket1 Wednesday, August 22, 2018 12:20 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2018 10:20 AM

All replies

• ADSIEDIT is a system utility for AD it is not a data repository.  What AD attribute is it that you want to change?  What object and context.  What you have posted appears to be multiple things concatenated.

You might be better of using ADSIEDIT as it is a GUI. 

Post in Directory Service forum for assistance with this setting.

Assuming you copied everything correctly:

$dn = 'cn=SYSVOL Subscription,cn=Domain System Volume,cn=DFSR-LocalSettings,cn=Lon-DC1,ou=Domain Controllers,DC=Adatum,DC=com'
    Set-AdObject $dn -Add @{msDFSR-Enabled=$true}

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 9:17 AM
  • Thanks for the prompt reply

My apologies for being less than clear. My experience with ADSI is (very) limited to the GUI.

The first line works ok it seems.

The secon, however throws an error. It seem to dislike the hyphen in msDFSR-Enabled

image because I cannot get text off the VM!

Thanks again

SGB

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 10:19 AM
  • Set-AdObject$dn -Add @{'msDFSR-Enabled'=$true}

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by GutBucket1 Wednesday, August 22, 2018 12:20 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2018 10:20 AM
  • One small change I had to make. The value is Boolean so I had to use -Replace rather than -Add

Thanks for your help
    SGB

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 12:22 PM