none
The Boot image wim is physically on the DP but CM management server isn't detecting it's there. RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning,

I'm running into an issue on two of our dp's where the Management Point isn't detecting that the boot image wim isn't deployed to it.

The boot image is in the packages share on the DP, but for whatever reason can't be re-deployed. I can go through the distribute content wizard and select the DP but nothing happens after that. Other packages can be deployed to the DP so it's something to do with this particular boot image but I'm not sure what at this point.

The DP has plenty of disk space available, and permissions haven't changed.

Would manually deleting the folder inside the share resolve the issue? I was going to try this but didn't want to cause further issues if this wasn't the correct method for resolving this issue.

This has just been an issue since our upgrade to 1902.

Thanks for any advice you can share.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 3:43 PM

All replies

• First, note that the MP has nothing to do with the process of distributing content.

Have you reviewed the distmgr.log and pkgxfermgr.log on the site server for the PkgIDs of the boot image packages (particularly after trying an update)? Also, to be clear and as a snity check, how exactly are you initiating the  content update?

Would manually deleting the folder inside the share resolve the issue?

No although what share are you referring to? By default, content is not directly place in or made available in share.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 4:20 PM
  • Hi Jason, thanks for your reply.

Here's the latest entry referencing the DP and transfer of the boot image in the distmgr.log. 

Start deleting package ABC00005 from server ["Display=\\DP.domain.com\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=ABC"]\\DP.domain.com\... 8/14/2019 10:13:30 AM 12604 (0x313C)
    Created DP processing thread 6944 for removal of package ABC00005 on server ["Display=\\DP.domain.com\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=ABC"]\\DP.domain.com\ 8/14/2019 10:13:30 AM 12604 (0x313C)
    Attempting to remove package ABC00005 from distribution point ["Display=\\DP.domain.com\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=ABC"]\\DP.domain.com\ 8/14/2019 10:13:30 AM 6944 (0x1B20)
    ["Display=\\DP.domain.com\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=ABC"]\\DP.domain.com\ doesn't have the package installed yet as no pkgstatus entry found 8/14/2019 10:13:30 AM 6944 (0x1B20)
    Successfully removed the package ABC00005 from server ["Display=\\DP.domain.com\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=ABC"]\\DP.domain.com\ 8/14/2019 10:13:30 AM 6944 (0x1B20)

I'm not seeing any mention of the packageID in the pkgxfermgr.log after attempting to distribute the package via the Distribute Content Wizard.

The share that I'm referring to is the SMSPKGE$ share on the DP. Inside it has folders with the pkgID for each distributed package. Is there another place that it should be going?

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 4:58 PM
  • Also, after running the Update Distribution Points Wizard on the boot image there are references in the pkgxfer.log for the other DP's that have the boot image but no reference for the DP having issues.
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 5:14 PM
  • If you review the content locations tab on the properties of the boot image, is the DP in question listed?

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 6:46 PM
  •  Inside it has folders with the pkgID for each distributed package.

This is not default, not necessary and only happens when you select the option to place the package in an additional share. This creates a entire second copy of the content on the DP. If this is what you are checking to see if the content is on the DP, this is not correct.

Content distributed to DPs goes to the content library on the DPs. This is a set of files and folders on the DP and not a single folder. Boot Images also get copied to the RemoteInstall folder if the option to make the boot image available to PXE is selected (and you are using WDS for PXE).

Is there a reason that you are selecting the option to copy packages to an additional location at all for other packages?

Have you reviewed the status of the content under the Distribution Status - > Content status node in the Monitoring workspace or using the built-in reports?

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 6:53 PM