none
Selecting disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

it's possible to add a disk in DPM and use it like a different destiny of protection groups?

i mean, if i add a disk to DPM and i create a new protection group, can I select specificaly the new disk, or DPM takes

all the disk like a pool and use it when it needs?

we have no robotic libraries and we need to send the backup out of the office to prevent dissasters

Thanks!

Thursday, March 6, 2014 6:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM does not support backing up to removable disk because all disks added to the DPM storage pool are converted to dynamic disks.  You cannot remove disks used by dpm if they contain any DPM volumes.

A few possible solution is to use one or more of the following methods.

A) If using DPM 2012 Sp1 or R2 - you can backup to Azure for offsite backups.  Azure backups can be kept for up to 120 days.

B) install a software based Virtual tape library on DPM Server and add tape backups.  The VTL will write to disk based media located on removable disks.  One such software based VTL is http://www.firestreamer.com/ - I am certain there are others.

C) Run DPMBACKUP -REPLICAS - the use Robocopy to copy the data from the replica to removable storage.

Basic steps for DPM 2012:

1) Open a ADMINISTRATIVE command prompt and run dpmbackup -replicas
    2) Run Robocopy and have it copy all the data under the C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy folder to removable disk

If you have permissions problems then run this script.

1)      Download psexec.exe from www.sysinternals.com
    2)      Run PSEXEC -s cmd.exe   (this will switch window to system context)
    3)      Afterwards - type WHOAMI it should return:

nt authority\system
    4) Run Robocopy.exe and have it copy all the data under the C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy folder to removable disk.

However, You cannot use DPM to restore files using method C). The restores of protected data will need to be performed manually back to the original server using flat file copy.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:41 PM