Publishing SharePoint 2010 sites to internet RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,<o:p></o:p>

We are looking for solution to publish SharePoint 2010 sites to internet. The main question here would be authentication. We would like to have something similar to OWA for Exchange. To access all internal sites with domain credentials. I know TMG is able to do this but TMG coming to the end of its lifecycle. What could be other solution for this? We are also looking forward to migrate to SharePoint 2013.

Thanks,

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 1:14 PM

Answers

• Well, I didn't realy dive into this topic yet, but it seems there is not much of a difference.

http://kemptechnologies.com/blog/dude-wheres-my-reverse-proxy/

From what I read so far, there seem to be far more secure solutions out there. The only security aspect I see in both solutions is that users do not get to the server until they have successfully authenticated against your domain.

• Marked as answer by star.wars Thursday, December 25, 2014 4:48 AM
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 1:07 PM

All replies

• HI Aurl,

If your sharepoint environment is configured to use Active directory then you can host it on internet also and the it will ask for credentials only when anonymous authentication is not enabled, by providing domain credentials user can login to the site. All it require is one public IP to mapped with your site.

Best Regards,
    Brij K

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 4:22 PM
  • Hi Brij, 

Is it secure to publish all sites to internet in this way?

• Edited by AurL Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:53 AM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 7:54 AM
  • In other words, what would be the difference publishing SharePoint sites through WAP and through straight external IP?  
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 11:12 AM
  • any update? 
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:51 AM
  • Hi AurL,

the difference between directly publishing and using WAP would be that there is no pre Authentication when publishing direktly. Best way to publish a Server is by using a reverse proxy capable of authenticating the users and doing SSL Inspection and other security operations.

TMG might be discontinued but it will still continue to be supported. If you don't already have a TMG you could buy a TMG appliance, or look for other products like Sophos UTM, citrix netscaler or Kemp load balancer.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:58 AM
  • yes, we have Kemp but in this case what would be the difference between using WAP and Kemp reverse proxy? 
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:18 PM
  • Well, I didn't realy dive into this topic yet, but it seems there is not much of a difference.

http://kemptechnologies.com/blog/dude-wheres-my-reverse-proxy/

From what I read so far, there seem to be far more secure solutions out there. The only security aspect I see in both solutions is that users do not get to the server until they have successfully authenticated against your domain.

• Marked as answer by star.wars Thursday, December 25, 2014 4:48 AM
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 1:07 PM