none
bitlocker encrypted external drive RRS feed

• Question

• i used bitlocker to encrypt my external hard drive of 1tb. then i forgot the pasword and use the recovery key to change the password which was changed successfuly. later the drive wont open either with the password or the recovery key. i tried to format the drive and now the whole drive is locked i guess and it dosent show up. In disk manager it does show up as unknown drive /not initialized disk with no size(memory space) . yet i am unable to initialize it so far by any method or software available.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2020 12:34 PM

All replies

• Hello

You can try to Force format external hard drive with CMD

open Command Prompt as Administrator.

1. Type: diskpart and hit Enter.
    2. Type: list disk and hit Enter to display all disks on your computer.
    3. Type: select disk 0 and hit Enter; (0 is the drive letter of your USB.)
    4.  Type: clean and hit Enter.
    5.  Type: create partition primary and hit Enter
    6. Type: format fs=fat32 quick or format fs=ntfs quick and hit Enter to reset the drive to FAT32 or NTFS file system.
    7. Type: assign letter F: (You can replace F with other letter based on your needs)

Best regard,

Sylvia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 22, 2020 7:31 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue solved?

If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best regard,

Sylvia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 24, 2020 3:12 AM