Split output and combine RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a script that gets all virtual machine configuration location with the goals to display the VM name and volume# in the ClusterStorage directory on a Hyper-V node in a failover cluster.

The get of the 'ConfigurationLocation' property of Get-VM is as follows:

$nodes = Get-ClusterNode foreach ( $node in $nodes ) { Get-VM -ComputerName $node -VMName * | Select-Object ConfigurationLocation }

The output is then:

C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1\vmname1
    C:\ClusterStorage\Volume2\vmname2
    C:\ClusterStorage\Volume3\vmname3
    C:\ClusterStorage\Volume4\vmname4
    C:\ClusterStorage\Volume5\vmname5

But I want only the "Volume#" and "vmname".
    So I've been reading about split and regex and output-string (for the Get-VM line) but I can't figure it out.

I can split using "\", but when I try to combine the output isn't alright.
    At one moment I has two lines for each $split[#].

Ideally I want to sort on the Volume# as well, because when a LUN (volume) becomes unavailable, we need to inform the customers of the affected virtual machines.

I hope someone can give me some pointers.
    Split and regex are new to me, and I can't seem to find the right information for what I want to do.
    Everything online is about arrays of text or text files.

Monday, December 17, 2018 1:58 PM

Answers

• $nodes = Get-ClusterNode
    foreach ( $node in $nodes ) {
        Get-VM -ComputerName $node -VMName * | Select-Object -Property VMName,@{Name='Volume';Expression={(($_.ConfigurationLocation).split('\'))[2]}}
    }
    As far as I can see at the moment is the volume not available as a seperate property. So you can use string acrobatics to extract the volume.  ;-) :-D

Live long and prosper!

(79,108,97,102|%{[char]$_})-join''

• Marked as answer by Tom Weustink Monday, December 17, 2018 2:19 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2018 2:14 PM

All replies

• $nodes = Get-ClusterNode
    foreach ( $node in $nodes ) {
        Get-VM -ComputerName $node -VMName * | Select-Object -Property VMName,@{Name='Volume';Expression={(($_.ConfigurationLocation).split('\'))[2]}}
    }
    As far as I can see at the moment is the volume not available as a seperate property. So you can use string acrobatics to extract the volume.  ;-) :-D

Live long and prosper!

• Marked as answer by Tom Weustink Monday, December 17, 2018 2:19 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2018 2:14 PM
  • That works really nice. I need to look up how to do that string acrobatics :-)
    I see what you did there, but understanding it is something else for now.

The [2] part is saying ignore the first two parts and only show the next part?

Monday, December 17, 2018 2:19 PM
  • The -Split operator or the .split() method of strings splits a string on a charachter you specify into an array of parts of the string. With the number in brackets like this [2] you specify wich part you want to output (index starts by 0).

Live long and prosper!

• Edited by BOfH-666 Monday, December 17, 2018 2:29 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2018 2:28 PM
  • I read up on -Split and .split() method. Quite confusing how it's explained all over the place.
    That the index starts at 0 makes sense. I think I only saw (on the online articles) starting at 1...

Monday, December 17, 2018 3:00 PM
    • Edited by JS2010 Monday, December 17, 2018 3:29 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2018 3:14 PM