Print Table grid lines - Word 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I Paste a table into a Word 2003 document. It looks great. I print it, and the grid lines are missing. How can I make it print the grid lines of my table?

Thanks,

Jon Jacobs
    This message was composed entirely from recycled electrons.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 12:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Jon,

Go to Table|Table Properties > Table > Borders and Shading. Choose the border style you want, make sure the 'Apply to' option is set to 'Table' and click 'All'. This will give you a basic grid structure. You might want to use a color other than black (eg a grey shade for lighter lines) and you might want to explore some of the other options.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Monday, May 9, 2011 9:16 AM
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 12:46 PM

All replies

• Hi jon,

Apply an actual border to the cells/table.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]
    Friday, April 29, 2011 12:36 PM
  • Hi Jon,

"Jon Q Jacobs" schrieb

I Paste a table into a Word 2003 document.
    It looks great. I print it, and the grid lines are
     missing. How can I make it print the grid lines
    of my table?

in Excel you can choose to show grid lines or to hide grid lines, to print grid lines or not to print.
    In Word you can also hide or unhide grid lines. But they will never be printed. Therefore, you have to apply borders as mentioned by Paul.
    Or did you paste an Excel sheet as an embedded Excel object? Then you have to edit the object, and show its grid lines to be printed.

Greetings
    Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Viele Grüße Lisa [MS MVP Word]
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 11:20 AM
  • Thank you. How do I apply a border to these? I did not see that choice, but I probably didn't look in the right place.
    Jon Jacobs
    This message was composed entirely from recycled electrons.
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 12:03 PM
  • Hi Jon,

Go to Table|Table Properties > Table > Borders and Shading. Choose the border style you want, make sure the 'Apply to' option is set to 'Table' and click 'All'. This will give you a basic grid structure. You might want to use a color other than black (eg a grey shade for lighter lines) and you might want to explore some of the other options.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Monday, May 9, 2011 9:16 AM
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 12:46 PM