mail (microsoft outlook 2016) application not found RRS feed

• Question

• I had Office 365 installed and Outlook was working perfectly. I am using Windows 7

I installed Access 2003 for a legacy application, there were problems so I thought these were caused by installing this after Office 365 had been installed.  I used o15-ctrremove.diagcab to remove Office 365 - however it gets stuck at end and does not complete.

I have now re-installed and uninstalled Office 365 several times.  After re-installing everything is fine except for Outlook - I cannot configure an e-mail connected to my own domain in Outlook - it says SMTP settings are incorrect but they are not.

If I click on "Mail (microsoft outlook 2016)" in Control Panel it says "Application not found".

After uninstalling, the item "Mail (microsoft outlook 2016)" is still in Control Panel (I believe it is meant to be removed), clicking on it says "Application not found"

Something didn't go to the end of the Uninstall process and this is now preventing the re-install from working correctly.

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 1:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please open Control Panel > Programs and Features, check the program list, confirm if Office 365 is listed there.

If it is listed there, please select it, click Change > Online Repair. After repairing Office, check if the issue can be fixed. 

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact: tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 6:36 AM
  • Hi Winnie,

Thank you for your reply - I tried it but it didn't work.  As far as I can tell it uninstalled office 365 and re-installed it which I had already done multiple times.

By the way I have Windows 7 Pro 64-bit but I installed Office 365 32-bit.  From further research on the internet I have found quite a lot of people with 32-bit Office 365 who get the "Application not found" when clicking on "Mail (microsoft outlook 2016)" in Control Panel

Since I posted this I have done a lot more online research and this is what I have come up with:

1) I was trying to add my e-mail Account by going into Outlook, File, Add Account.  This process worked with my Outlook Account but did not work with my own domain account - it insisted that the SMTP settings were wrong and because the process is semi-automated it didn't end up adding an account at all.

2) However I managed to find a work around to get the Mail Applet MLCFG32.CPL to work - this has the account information. 

Workaround One: Run the mail applet directly from the command line

1. Press Windows Key + R to bring up the run dialog
    2. Paste the following:
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\MLCFG32.CPL 

This worked and I was able to add an e-mail account with all the correct pop3 and smtp settings and it worked.  Happy DAYS!!

3) Another internet site suggested that the following key in the Registry might have the wrong path:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Cpls

This is supposed to have a mlcfg32.cpl REG_SZ entry with a value set to a path such as C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office14\MLCFG32.CPL 

My Cpls Key had no mscfg32.cpl entry at all so I created one with the following path which seemed correct in my case:

C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\ROOT\Office16\MLCFG32.CPL

However after adding this entry, I still get the error "Application not found" when clicking on "Mail (microsoft outlook 2016)" in Control Panel.

4) A second work around was given here

Workaround Two: Run the mail applet from Outlook 2016 (or 365)

If you in Outlook you can run the control panel mail applet from within Outlook by going to File and clicking on account settings, at the bottom of the account settings drop down you should see a “Manage Profiles” button, which will take you into the mail applet.

5) In conclusion, my Outlook is now working (so I am happy) and I have 2 workarounds as above if I need to change anything on my e-mail accounts.  

6) As a final question, is there any other Registry entry for MLCFG32.CPL which I should check?  Does it need to be registered somehow?  When I tried the following which was suggested on another site nothing happened:

1. Open a Run window by pressing the Windows Key and R simultaneously (WIN + R).
    2. Paste c:\Windows\SysWOW64\control.exe mlcfg32.cpl into the Open field and click OK

However, navigating to the path where mscfg32.cpl is and double clicking on it, opens it up.  Therefore I am thinking it isn't properly registered??

Thanks for your help

Thursday, February 7, 2019 10:59 AM
  • Hi,

Please remove all registry changes above to restore the default settings. Then we can try the following settings in Outlook 2016 to add other accounts such as POP or IMAP:

1. In Outlook 2016, go to File > Info, under Account Information, click Add Account.
    2. Fill in your account email address, click Advanced Options in prompted window for your account, select the box for Let me setup my account manually. Click Connect.
    3. Then you can select POP or IMAP for your account, and setup account manually.

Check if it can setup your account or not.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact: tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Thursday, February 14, 2019 9:46 AM
  • Hi Winnie,

What you are suggesting DID NOT WORK.

This is what I tried originally, after uninstalling Office 365 and re-installing Office 365 (numerous times which ought to have reset everything in the Registry).

When I did this, following the exact steps that you say, after putting in my POP and SMTP settings, it told me the SMTP settings are incorrect but they are not. I couldn't get past this step - it wouldn't add the account with the settings I put in (WHICH I KNOW ARE CORRECT).

I then consulted further, and tried to do it via the "Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016)" entry in Control Panel (as advised by the person who sold me the computer.  Clicking on the "Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016)"  entry in Control Panel gives the error "Application not Found".

I then managed to set up my accounts by doing either of Workaround 1 or Workaround 2 which I detailed above (instructions copied from help on the internet).

TO BE CLEAR - I HAVE TRIED WHAT YOU HAVE SUGGESTED BOTH THE FIRST AND SECOND TIME AND NEITHER WORKED.

If I click on "Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016)"  in Control Panel, I still get the error "Application not Found"

The application is there (see Workaround 1) - my question is, does it somehow need to be registered?

Friday, February 15, 2019 7:49 AM