windows XP Black Screen, no cursor RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows XP, this morning I could not use my Mouse and my screen was locked up, I restarted the computer, fans are running, lights are on, cd/dvd drives open and close, wireless mouse no showing and light, Black Screen only, will not respond to any Bios, safe mode, recovery disk loads but nothing happens, and ideas ? thank you , Denis
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 2:02 PM

All replies

• If it's not even showing the bios when you try to start it up, you can try this.

1. Basically you need to unplug everything from your pc.

2. Open the case so you can see the motherboard.

3. You should see a battery inside the computer, it looks like a flat watch battery. Take the battery out.

4. Hold the power button for at least 1min, 2 is better.

5. Put the battery back in, close the case, plug all your cables back in, and power the machine back on. 

Let me know if that helps.

Sunday, August 19, 2012 7:34 PM
  • Is it a laptop or desktop?  If it's a laptop, then you could try holding down the FN (Function key) and then look for the key in the row of F1-F12 keys that has a monitor on it and press it.  I have seen monitors show a blank screen when it thinks a projector or external monitor is connected.  Hope that helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, August 20, 2012 12:50 PM
  • Hi, thank you for that information, I did change the Bios battery BUT I did not do as you suggested, holding the Power button down

for 2 mins.. I have left the Desktop into to a computer repair shop nd will let you know what they find, I am really very greatful for your

reply but I left the computer in before I read your reply! Thank you again.

The best is yet to come.

Monday, August 20, 2012 1:17 PM
  • Hi Jedi, see my reply above, in this case it was not a monitor problem, but thank you for replying.

The best is yet to come.

Monday, August 20, 2012 1:19 PM
  • Your so welcome, I hope it comes back to you nice and happy again :D
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:37 AM