Windows Server 2012 Session Host. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I've set up Session Host on my Windows Server 2012 RDS Server and allowed my clients to connect in remotely. It's all working fine but I have one question with regard to files saved to the desktop during a remote desktop session.

When setting up the RD Session Host server and Session Host Collection, I chose NOT to use User Profile Paths. However, when the remote users connect in and save a file to the desktop, the file is still there when they log in the next day. I thought that without using User Profile Paths, the RDS Session was like renting a hotel room (one of the analogies used in the training videos)... i.e. The user can make all the changes they want to the current session, but when they log out and then log in again, the remote desktop session returns to the default setup.

Am I missing something here?

thanks,
    J

Saturday, May 31, 2014 1:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Server 2012 RD Session Host is like a multi-user workstation.  Just like a regular windows workstation, by default each user will use a local profile.  In your case it sounds like you did not configure roaming profiles, User Profile Disk, deleting cached copies of profiles, etc., so the system defaulted to using a local profile stored under C:\Users.  There is nothing wrong with using local profiles if that is what you want.

Based on your description I think you are referring to a pooled virtual desktop collection of Win7/Win8 VMs that is set to automatically roll back when the user logs off.  In this case each user connects to a separate VM and when they log off the VM is restored to its original state (any changes to the local disks are lost).

-TP

Sunday, June 1, 2014 1:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Server 2012 RD Session Host is like a multi-user workstation.  Just like a regular windows workstation, by default each user will use a local profile.  In your case it sounds like you did not configure roaming profiles, User Profile Disk, deleting cached copies of profiles, etc., so the system defaulted to using a local profile stored under C:\Users.  There is nothing wrong with using local profiles if that is what you want.

Based on your description I think you are referring to a pooled virtual desktop collection of Win7/Win8 VMs that is set to automatically roll back when the user logs off.  In this case each user connects to a separate VM and when they log off the VM is restored to its original state (any changes to the local disks are lost).

-TP

Sunday, June 1, 2014 1:35 AM
  • Hi,

Any further update for your case?

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Monday, June 2, 2014 7:43 AM
  • TP's answer seems to make sense, and corresponds to what is currently happening on the server. I think he may also be right about me thinking about pooled VMs. We spent a lot of time setting up VDI pooled workstations, to see what they had to offer for our clients. We decided in the end that Session Host was much simpler to setup and administer, and offers more than enough for the lower level users that we would be dealing with.

The question can be considered answered. 

thanks, 

J

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:12 AM