show a summary task and it's nested tasks in the same view RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to show a summary task and it's nested tasks in the same view?
    Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Fetchko
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

I understand that you want to show the summary task and its corresponding subtasks in the same  view  .Here are my suggestions:

1.       Open the all tasks view  and choose to ‘Modify this view’ .

2.       Open the ‘Group by’ field and choose the  column you want to group .That is to say ,if you set  group by the ‘Assigned to ’, then the tasks which have the same value in the ‘Assigned to ’ will be grouped together .

3.       Open the ‘Totals’ field and set the column to different actions, such as count ,average ,maximum ,minimum etc.. Click OK to save the changes.

If you have any more questions ,please feel free to ask .

Thanks ,

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 8:59 AM
  • Hi Rock,

Thank you for replying. I assigned my summary tasks and tasks to the same person and grouped by that person, however, Grouping by Assigned To did not resolve this. The problem I am having is that Summary Tasks seem to be considered "folders" and the only options are: "Show items inside folders" and "Show all items without folders". So, I can either view my summary tasks or the items inside them - but not both. I am trying to display items as follows:

Project Name

Summary Task 1

Summary Task 1A

Task a

Task b

Task c

Summary Task 2

etc,  etc

There must be a way to do this but I have not found it so far.

Thank you,

Andrew

Andrew Fetchko
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 1:34 PM
  • Andrew did you ever get a solution to this? I am trying to do the same thing.
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 5:16 AM
  • Hi Rob,

I got a ton of suggestions on how to do this via SP Designer or the SP UI but ended up deciding that the only way to go was to open up the web part in Visual Studio. When I told my boss that this would be the way to continue the project, it got put on the back burner. If you find a simple solution please pass it on.

Andrew

Andrew Fetchko
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 11:10 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

I understand that you want to show the summary task and its corresponding subtasks in the same  view  .Here are my suggestions:

1.       Open the all tasks view  and choose to ‘Modify this view’ .

2.       Open the ‘Group by’ field and choose the  column you want to group .That is to say ,if you set  group by the ‘Assigned to ’, then the tasks which have the same value in the ‘Assigned to ’ will be grouped together .

3.       Open the ‘Totals’ field and set the column to different actions, such as count ,average ,maximum ,minimum etc.. Click OK to save the changes.

If you have any more questions ,please feel free to ask .

Thanks ,

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Great...thank you. Now i got an idea.
    Friday, May 25, 2012 10:19 AM
  • Sharepoint 2010

I created a new view just for the Folder view called "Project Overview" on which you can view and edit through the folders. In the main view I clicked in list settings and putted on folders to "<label for="Folders2">Show all items without folders</label>". So you have one full vision of tasks at first, then and overview if you need and you can maintain the project structure in Sharepoint.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 4:48 PM
  • I am trying to do this as well.  the above does not give a list with summary tasks with the associated sub tasks.  I would love to see a solution to this if anyone has one.

THANKS!

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:40 PM
  • modify the gantt view in SharePoint designer , find the ListViewWebPart with type="GANTT", in the ListViewXml tag, add or change to Scope="RecursiveAll".

a similar issue https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/80d53a7b-ae5e-4cb3-a1df-db006d4554af/calendar-view-for-summary-task?forum=sharepointgeneralprevious 

just that there is no indent in title.
    • Edited by GuYuming Monday, September 18, 2017 6:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andrew.Fetchko Monday, September 18, 2017 2:41 PM
    Monday, September 18, 2017 6:46 AM
  • This post is from 7 years ago. I don't work for that company anymore. I know MS support has gotten slow but this one probably sets a new record. Have no idea if this solution will work and have not cared about it for many years so good luck if you are still using SP2010.

Andrew Fetchko

Monday, September 18, 2017 2:41 PM