none
Cant write to ext hdd, read only RRS feed

• Question

• Hi kind people,

I have an issue that i though  you guys might be able to help me.

We have a server 2003 AD environment with 40 pcs.

I have installed the group policy templae for steady state and configure the policy for the login user accordingly.

I encounter an issue which I am not sure the why it behave like that.

every time the a user of a client pc, connect a usb flash drive to save file, everything is ok.

however, everything people connect their external hdd, they have problem writing file to it, the error msg says that the drive is read only.

my diagnose:

1. i have double check to see whether the drive is write protected, but its not cause if its use on other pc that does not get the policy it works fine.

2. when i check the permission on the ext hdd, there is no write access.

i suspected something in the policy that i set prohibit logged in user to have write access to ntfs.

flash disk because of its nature is mostly setup as fat or fat32 file system, therefore it can write files when user log in.

Thank you for sharing your thought with me.
    Saturday, July 19, 2008 11:01 AM

Answers

•  

Hi, I suggest you check the following two policies in All Windows SteadyState Restrictions:

General Settings -> Hide these specified drives in My Computer

General Settings -> Prevent access to drives from My Computer

These two restrictions in All Windows SteadyState can be the potential cause of the issue. Meanwhile, I also suggest you check other non-SteadyState related system policies.  

Monday, July 21, 2008 9:00 AM