none
Question about SCCM Content distribution

Question

• Hello

I have a question about the SCCM DP content management (my knowledge in this area is not as deep as I would like it to be but I am learning ...)

This question is about the DP disk-space management and not bandwidth related.

So, my question - Is it possible to configure a DP at a remote location such that the content for a package/app/Software update is only downloaded (from the site) when the first client at that remote site requests for that content and then from that point on, that content remains on that remote DP?

The idea here is to conserve DP disk space as much as possible as not all content in the organisation is consumed by the clients at this site.

Please note we want the DP to remain on that site for other reasons such as OSD. Branch cache is enabled  in our organisation but we want the DP at remote sites to host these occasionally requested big packages (such as Adobe CC suite spanning 6-7 gigs) to be hosted on those DPs once they are requested by at least one client.

The blogs and tech articles between 2012-16 on the internet on this DP content subject  (e.g. on-demand DP etc.) no longer appear to be valid now since the new technologies such as Default Site BG, peer-caching etc. introduced in CB appear to have changed the content management landscape drastically, so reading those articles confuses me more.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, March 22, 2019 9:37 AM

All replies

• Hello Steve Dsouza,

Sorry but I am afraid that it is impossible.

We should know that the content distribution is a part of the deployment. When clients receive deployment policy,  content should also be distributed to DP where clients could obtain from. Thus when clients require content, they know that content is available and where to get them.

Assuming that your idea could be done, when clients want to install something they have to wait until the content is distributed to the DP, then download content from DP. This should not be a good user experience.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remembers to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 22, 2019 10:07 AM
  • Thanks Ray.

In terms of what I was looking for in my above post, the content as part of the package deployment creation is always distributed to all the intended DPs (including this remote DP in question!) but this remote DP  due to this theoretical, custom "on-demand" feature configuration would choose not to download immediately instead waits for the first client to request for it and then download.

As regards the user experience, it's not a big issue for us because packages/apps are always configured to run silently so users in this case will be oblivious to the fact (a couple of hours more for the app to download from WAN and THEN install is not a big concern for us , especially when only the first user will face such inconvenience). Link is reasonably good.

The other end of this equation - the benefits of this potential feature are tangible especially when the DP will only host just what's been requested so far. With ever-increasing content size with semi annual releases etc. I feel it would be a nice feature to have, when we can not get rid of remote DP due to other requirements.

Ever since Windows 10, Office 365 has entered the scene with their bulky semi-annual releases it has become a nightmare for us to manage DP content as they are filling up space with each month at an alarming rate. Most of the content never gets used but we do not know which one that is hence thought this new potential feature would help alleviate the problem.

Friday, March 22, 2019 10:26 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your detailed explanation. However, this deferred/conditional distribution is not available in SCCM for now. Considering that you really have this requirement, it is suggested that you could share your idea in the user's voice. The product team may add this function in the future release.

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback
    https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remembers to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 25, 2019 3:12 AM
  • Done.

https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/37195726-an-option-to-configure-a-dp-such-that-it-only-down

Monday, March 25, 2019 6:51 PM