Vista / IIS / PHP / MySQL RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I just purchased a PC with Vista Ultimate.  I need to install PHP and MySQL.  With Windows XP, I used IIS.

Does Vista come with IIS?  Are the latest versions of PHP and MySQL compatible with Vista?

Thank you.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 7:42 PM

All replies

• You install IIS the same way in Vista as you did in XP - through the add/remove programs (called 'Programs and Features' in Vista) then select the 'Turn Windows features on or off' link and choose the components to add or remove.

A quick Google search and I see there where some issues with both pHp and mySQL and Vista back in the RTM days, I would imagine that the respective sites for those probably have things worked out by now.  I would seriously suggest you consider virtualization for these.  Be it VirtualPC (www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx) or VMware (www.vmware.com/).
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 11:28 PM
  • Well, As Windows Vista is mainly produced for Workstation/ PC markets, I suggest you if you'd like to run your server as IIS with PHP and mySQL to use the Windows Longhorn Server beta as it has the new IIS.

Good luck

Friday, May 4, 2007 6:53 AM
  • Try add/remove program from the control panel and choose "Add/remove Windows Features". This would install the Windows IIS7, btw, to easy your PHP installation on Windows (something could become a little painful) try FastCGI and IIS7, this would make your PHP installation easier and PHP more responsive and fast Big Smile (http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1555465&SiteID=17)
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 3:53 PM