Replaced motherboard and vista won't boot RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought Vista Ultimate and bought a new motherboard, ram, cpu and video card.  I formatted the drive and installed fresh.  I then needed to exchange my MSI motherboard for an ASUS board.

Vista won't boot normal.

Vista won't boot safe mode.

Vista won't boot from CD and repair (finds nothing wrong).

Is this a supported scenario, or do I need to reinstall Vista?

If it is supported, how do I get things working?

If I need to reinstall, should I wipe my boot drive, or just install over the top?

Thank you!

Dave

I just found this forum.  I initially posted this in the Setup forum, but perhaps this is a better place.  (cross post http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1815241&SiteID=17)

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 5:22 AM

All replies

• When you switch motherboards, most likely the chipset + PNPIDs for your storage controller will be different so it will require a fresh installation. There are ways around the issue but it may only work if you still had the old MB in our possession, which you don't.

If there is no important data on your HDD, I would wipe the boot drive and do a clean installation.

Friday, July 6, 2007 5:14 AM
  • Well, let me tell you... you might just switch motherboards.... this is why:

i just replaced motherboards... and did not have to reinstall vista... it recognized everything i already had installed... plus searched (automaticaly) for the motherboard drivers... and then install them automatically as well...

so, you may be lucky too.

Good luck.

P.S. if it doesnt work.. then just perform a clean install.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 3:48 AM