none
Don't install DPM 2016, it's a bad software RRS feed

• Question

• We have been used all DPM version: DPM 2007, 2010, 2012, 2012R2.

Now we migrated to DPM 2016.

My recommendation: don't migrate to DPM 2016 at the moment.

1. You need 5-10 times more disk space for the same backups

If you have some of BMR backups, you will need 5-10 times more of free space for that in DPM 2016.

For example, I use 2 x 8Tb SATA 3.5" drives for DPM backups in DPM 2012R2.

Now I need 30-50Tb (!!!) of the free space for the same backup.

See https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=dataprotectionmanager&announcementId=c3f186ac-60cd-464c-8db8-73697f7ffd6f

See https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ed1a79c2-6b41-486d-a4f4-4417372190fb/dpm2016-why-bmr-use-a-lot-more-storage-than-dpm2012?forum=dpmssandbmrbackup

Or you need to enable dedup.

Dedup on SATA drives ? Are you kidding ? I don't need that at all.

I don't need the new whistles and bells like ReFS and MBS (Modern Backup Storage).

The old disk allocation technology works perfectly. Now you can't use that in DPM 2016.

Please return the old disk allocation technology!!!

2. DPM agent updating

No reboots ? It's a joke.

You need twice reboot your servers at least. Uninstall the old agent, reboot, install new agent, reboot.

Sometimes a new agent was installed incorrectly. DPM installed only AC service (Agent Coordinator). Now you need manually uninstall AC, reboot and install again for RA.

3. VMware protection is delayed

No at the moment.

There was a perfect product - Veritas BackupExec. Symantec completely changed that. A lot of companies said goodbye to Symantec.

It seems you are doing in the same way.

Someone should be fired in DPM management team for this release.

• Edited by Alternate Monday, March 6, 2017 12:53 PM
    Monday, March 6, 2017 12:52 PM

All replies

• UR2 has fixed a lot of the really bad problems. I am hopeful the rest will be fixed with more URs. Unlike Symantec Microsoft has shown they will fix most of their products, eventually.
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 10:48 PM
  • I don't need the new whistles and bells like ReFS and MBS (Modern Backup Storage).

MBS is where you see the space savings in DPM 2016. It works much better and is super easy to setup. I don't understand your objection to it.

DPM agent updating

No reboots ? It's a joke.

You need twice reboot your servers at least. Uninstall the old agent, reboot, install new agent, reboot.

I've had the opposite experience. When I install the new agent to protected servers, no reboot has been required.

Friday, March 24, 2017 4:30 PM
  • Hi,

"MBS is where you see the space savings in DPM 2016. It works much better and is super easy to setup. I don't understand your objection to it."

The idea behind it is better- yes.
    But the implementation is not very nice at the moment, hope it will be better in future.

What does work better?

- It consumes way more space during BMR backups
    - It is not possible to modify disk allocation anymore (what you need after sudden data increases)
    - "Replica" Volumes cannot span over DPM volumes anymore, when the DPM Vol fills up and you cannot grow the vol on storage side. - Protection stops and it is not possible to simply add another volume anymore.

- Migration from one volume to another is not possible anymore (i.e. for storage migrations)
    - Backup of bigger dedup NTFS volumes throws errors

Don't get me wrong. Generally i like DPM but DPM 2016 still needs some URs...

regards

/bkpfast

My postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confer no rights

Monday, March 27, 2017 7:53 AM
  • The solution to not being able to span volumes is to use a Storage Pool as the target of the disk based backups. That way you can easily add additional disks to the storage pool and expand the storage pool's virtual disk.
    • Proposed as answer by Skolvikings80 Monday, May 1, 2017 6:40 PM
    Monday, May 1, 2017 1:16 PM
  • All versions are bad. We are using DPM 2012 R2, and all the time is reporting that the tape library is not synchronized, we do a detailed inventory and again, over and over again.... really annoying....

Cristian L Ruiz

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 7:38 PM
  • It's really fragile. Took forever to make 2016 stable. Seems to be working now mostly, except it refuses to back up one of our biggest drives all of a sudden and we have no idea why. 
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 9:05 PM
  • I have to concur with the poster that DPM 2016 is pretty much awful. It's waaaay fragile. Backups frequently fail, and backing up physical file servers takes waaaaaaaay to long... Like weeks to back up just about 1 TB... Yea - that's just unacceptable. But hey if you like to waste time - DPM 2016 is for you. How about 30 minutes just to stop protection of a member and delete it from disk. Yep - that only used to take 30 seconds. I guess that was too fast for Microsoft though. 

You want to talk huge efficiency improvements - how about installing the agent on a 2012 R2 member server sometimes causes the server to reboot (gracefully).. But with no warning - no user interaction. Just a shutdown and reboot... yep - sign me up for some of that action.

I didn't think it possible they could make it worse compared to the competition - but they did. 

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 1:17 AM
  • DPM 2016 on Windows Server 2016 was a terrible software when it was released, and even with UR1. UR2 and Windows Server 2016 fixed most of the problems for us. There are still some problems with DPM2016 but i am hopeful Microsoft will fix them, eventually.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 9:09 AM
  • We ended up switching to Veeam and I couldn't be happier with it. It blows DPM out of the water. It's like comparing a Ferrari against a 1970's Ford Pinto. I think DPM may be okay for the small mom and pop running a single small business server or something like that. But in an enterprise environment - it's pretty much unusable. 

I can do a full backup of a 1 TB volume in a file server in a couple hours in Veeam. In DPM that initial sync took almost a week! 

If you ever practice your restores (as you should) you will find it takes just as long to do a restore as the initial sync took. Do you want to wait a week to recover your file server? Is that practical for your business? Here - it's not. So bu-bye DPM. 

I think MS would be well served to take note. MS Azure Backup server software is FREE (you just pay for the Azure Storage Spaces for your online backups IF you use them). Azure Backup Server IS DPM 2016. We threw that in the garbage and pay 10K a year to Veeam now. When someone is willing to toss your far lower cost product in the garbage and cough up 10K annually to get off it, you need to ask yourself - how and why do we suck so bad. 

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 11:59 AM