Firefox compatability? RRS feed

• Question

• It appears as though sometimes Windows 7 seems to "corrupt" my firefox.

What I mean by this is that I will launch Firefox, and the initial home page will load, but the navigation toolbars at the top are blank unless I hover over specific buttons.  Also, when this occurs, if I start to try and surf the web the page never "refreshes" with the new webpage, but the content for new pages seems to overlay on top of one another.

One more thing, it doesn't seem to be keeping my cookies after I close the browser (and yes, I checked FF to make sure that I didn't have it set to delete cookies on exit)
    • Changed type Ronnie VernonMVP Monday, January 12, 2009 9:25 PM Question with answers
    Monday, January 12, 2009 7:04 PM

Answers

• The problem sounds to me like the original poster is launching Firefox (3.0.5) from the taskbar. I had the same problem when I initially pinned the Firefox icon to the taskbar from a right click of the Start Menu or Desktop icon, for some reason instead of pinning the main app, it pinned the Safe Mode version of Firefox.

The solution is simply enough, if you navigate to your install directory (C > Program Files > Mozilla Firefox) and right click on the application itself (as opposed to the shortcut on the start menu or desktop) choose "Pin to Taskbar" and you'll get the real thing on the taskbar. Launch it, and everything should work fine.
    That's how I solved it on my computer anyways.
    • Proposed as answer by CoShef Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T Jr Friday, January 16, 2009 4:25 AM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:03 PM

All replies

• I'm using FF 3.0.5 on Win7 Ult x64 without any issues.  Are you using 3.0.5?

Keith Combs - Microsoft US IT Pro Evangelist - http://blogs.technet.com/keithcombs
    Monday, January 12, 2009 7:42 PM
  • KeithCombs said:

I'm using FF 3.0.5 on Win7 Ult x64 without any issues.  Are you using 3.0.5?

Keith Combs - Microsoft US IT Pro Evangelist - http://blogs.technet.com/keithcombs

Same, works fine for me.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 7:45 PM
  • ive got Minefield  3.0.6 installed on the x64 version with no issues, minefield is the 64 bit version of Firefox.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 9:20 PM
  • 3.0.5 works perfectly. About the only issue is that unlike IE, individual tabs do not appear separate for task bar preview, but that will likely come in time.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 9:35 PM
  • Yeah, I am using 3.0.5.  I also just uninstalled it, and reinstalled, and I am still having the same issues (specifically the cookie issues) at the moment.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 10:26 PM
  • I found that pinning to the taskbar and launching from their always throws it into "safe mode". While launching from start menu is no problems. I am also having the cookie problems.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 10:55 PM
  • Check in Control Panel / Internet Options / General Tab and make sure Browsing History doesn't have a tick in delete browsing history on exit
    Monday, January 12, 2009 11:01 PM
  • i am running 3.0.5, and it's perfect so far.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 11:09 PM
  • Sanginius said:

Check in Control Panel / Internet Options / General Tab and make sure Browsing History doesn't have a tick in delete browsing history on exit

Yes, that is unchecked

Monday, January 12, 2009 11:12 PM
  • TrintLord said:

I found that pinning to the taskbar and launching from their always throws it into "safe mode". While launching from start menu is no problems. I am also having the cookie problems.

Good to know I am not the only one...
    Monday, January 12, 2009 11:13 PM
  • I'm using Minefield 3.2a1, the only problem is the graphic of the button where the website logo is, on the left of the url bar, doesn't load and just shows as a gray square. Nothing major though.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 11:31 PM
  • I downloaded firefox.. works perfectly fine. GFX card?
    Monday, January 12, 2009 11:33 PM
  • I'm running Firefox 3.0.5 on Windows 7 Beta Build 7000 on a HP Compaq dc7900 without any issues.

Trevor Sullivan
    Systems Engineer
    OfficeMax Corporation

Trevor Sullivan Systems Engineer OfficeMax Corporation
    Monday, January 12, 2009 11:47 PM
  • who is the kid that is having issues with firefox under windows 7 beta 1? lol I read the RSS of that in outlook and i laughed, only because i was thinking of using firefox to replace IE beta 2 in Windows 7 because of all of the issues that IE is giving me in the beta with downloading files....

So, would firefox be a good investment for the beta or not? the only other OS i use firefox for is Windows 2000.... you could possibly guess why.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:04 AM
  • I'm using Firefox/3.1b2 and there's no problems at all.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 3:07 AM
  • actually, that sounds like a memory problem... do you have enough ram?  is it all working properly?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:35 AM
  • Alamioas said:

It appears as though sometimes Windows 7 seems to "corrupt" my firefox.

What I mean by this is that I will launch Firefox, and the initial home page will load, but the navigation toolbars at the top are blank unless I hover over specific buttons.  Also, when this occurs, if I start to try and surf the web the page never "refreshes" with the new webpage, but the content for new pages seems to overlay on top of one another.

One more thing, it doesn't seem to be keeping my cookies after I close the browser (and yes, I checked FF to make sure that I didn't have it set to delete cookies on exit)

Sounds like your standard account doesn't have read/write permissions on the Firefox directories in your profile, specifically the ones located under \Users\[username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\

Did you copy over your profile from another drive and possibly it is owned by a different account than your normal one? It sounds like a corrupt Firefox profile overall.

With that said, I tend to run the Firefox nightly builds (3.2a) and Thunderbird nightly builds (3.0a) and have had no trouble with them under Win7. It sounds like an interesting problem though. I'd try to make a new profile for your Firefox and try again.

http://blog.tiensivu.com/aaron/ - https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Aaron.Tiensivu
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:41 AM
    Answerer
  • Firefox 3.0.5 is working fine here - which is more than can be said for IE8 Beta (that just won't connect at all)

Go figger THAT out LOL
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:22 AM
  • Firefox 3.0.5 is working wonderfully and without a hitch here as well. I'm testing the Win7 x86 build.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:04 AM
  • The problem sounds to me like the original poster is launching Firefox (3.0.5) from the taskbar. I had the same problem when I initially pinned the Firefox icon to the taskbar from a right click of the Start Menu or Desktop icon, for some reason instead of pinning the main app, it pinned the Safe Mode version of Firefox.

The solution is simply enough, if you navigate to your install directory (C > Program Files > Mozilla Firefox) and right click on the application itself (as opposed to the shortcut on the start menu or desktop) choose "Pin to Taskbar" and you'll get the real thing on the taskbar. Launch it, and everything should work fine.
    • Proposed as answer by CoShef Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T Jr Friday, January 16, 2009 4:25 AM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:03 PM
  • I am using FF as well and I launch it from  the task bar. No problems at all.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:15 PM
  • CoShef said:

The problem sounds to me like the original poster is launching Firefox (3.0.5) from the taskbar. I had the same problem when I initially pinned the Firefox icon to the taskbar from a right click of the Start Menu or Desktop icon, for some reason instead of pinning the main app, it pinned the Safe Mode version of Firefox.

I tried this, but unfortunately to no avail. =(  Cookies are still not retained for me.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:58 PM
  • Alamioas said:

CoShef said:

The problem sounds to me like the original poster is launching Firefox (3.0.5) from the taskbar. I had the same problem when I initially pinned the Firefox icon to the taskbar from a right click of the Start Menu or Desktop icon, for some reason instead of pinning the main app, it pinned the Safe Mode version of Firefox.

I tried this, but unfortunately to no avail. =(  Cookies are still not retained for me.

With the actual .exe file (as opposed to the shortcut) is it still opening in Safe Mode? Or is it just a cookie problem?
    This might sound silly, but have you checked your cookie settings in FF?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:41 PM
  • I couldn't get Firefox, Minefield or any browser other than IE to work at first, but it turned out that it was a driver for my ethernet controller that Windows Update installed. I did a system restore and everything works perfectly fine now.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:18 PM
  • I just started having trouble with the toolbars, etc. blanking out in FF 3.0.5.. restarting FF doesn't help, so I had to reboot Win 7.

I think it has something to do with the newest nVidia drivers (181.20) and/or the desktop backgrounds.

Windows 7 32bit beta
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:32 PM
  • I'm running Windows 7 32 bit as a guest on MS Virtual PC. Almost all software runs perfectly here. Without driver issues, almost everything runs as it should. FF and it's plugins copied over as in any other restore.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 5:13 PM
  • I had a similar problem with Firefox 2.0. On this forum, it was suggeted that it may be conflicting with a toolbar program... I deleted one "Ask" toolbar and the problem went away for a while, then came back....then I did a re-install and while I was installing my AVG Free a-v, it asked me if they could install a AVG toolbar, I declined and Firefox has been working great since. So I think toolbars have to be deleted not just turned off.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 8:42 PM
  •  I have had an issue and came in here to ask about it. I can't get FF 3.0.5 to delete my browsing history. I've set it to keep no history, to delete personal data on close and yet as soon as I go in and hit the drop down bar, there are the places I've been.

Any thoughts?
    Monday, February 2, 2009 9:42 PM
  • Cecil Allred said:

I have had an issue and came in here to ask about it. I can't get FF 3.0.5 to delete my browsing history. I've set it to keep no history, to delete personal data on close and yet as soon as I go in and hit the drop down bar, there are the places I've been.

Any thoughts?

Ya I had the same problem. I uninistalled Firefox 3.05 and did a search for Firefox 2.0 and installed that.

Sorry, but I didn't like that "Smart Location Bar" in 3.05.

All is well now.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 10:44 PM
  • I only get the problem of my cookies not saving, I have to sign in again everytime I open it up. ie. the cookie is only in use for that session, but sometimes expires before!
    Monday, February 2, 2009 11:56 PM
  •  Spending a bit of time in the forums over at Mozzilla shows where this is a FF issue, not Win 7. Testing it on an XP Pro Sp3, and both of my Win 7 x32 and Win 7x64 systems the issue continues to crop up. It appears that 3.0.5 is still a bit buggy.
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 6:40 PM
  • I have been using FIrefox since I installed Windows 7. Everything worked fine for last few weeks. Suddenly I get this cookie retaining problem where it just isnt retaining any cookies. Have now upgraded to 3.06 and still same issue. I have found that if I leave 1 instance of firefox running it will retain cookies in all the new windows (not tabs) I open. But once that is closed its back to no cookies.

And yes I copied my Firefox profile from Windows Vista had same username and password and PC name as I have in Windows 7.
    I have tried pinning and unpinned from taskbar.
    The delete history is not turned on.

Thanx,
    Mark
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 10:01 AM
  • Running 3.06 without any problems.
    Windows 7 beta dual booting with VISTA Home Premium 2 GB memory 160 HD Gateway Laptop HP Officejet 6310 All-in One inkjet printer Verizon FIOS Internet Connection
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 1:00 AM
  • Have fixed it guys.
    Not sure how the problem started but this fixed it for me:
    Create new profile for firefox or you can copy your curent profile (c:\users\username\appdata\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles) uninstall firefox removing user settings and then reinstall as new.
    Then copy only the following files from the old profile to the new profile found in the same location:
    places.sqlite (contains bookmarks and browsing history)
    cookies.sqlite (contains cookies)
    mimeTypes.rdf (conatins actions to perform when downloading certain file types)
    formhistory.sqlite (saved entries for web forms and search bar)
    key3.db (contains saved passwords and must be copied with next file listed below)
    signons3.txt (contains saved passwords and must be copied with key3.db)

These are the only files I copied across.
    I also copied folder:  bookmarkbackups

And all is working so far.
    All passwords and bookmarks are functioning / saved.
    And cookies are being kept again.

Hope this helps the others having probs.

Mark.
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 8:07 AM
  •  

Microsoft Internet Explorer: Windows beta 1 FEEDBACK ;Friday 13-02-2009

The Standard open new page or pop up page in new second INTERNET EXPLORER window in my opinion is rather ignoring. So I imediately changed open new Internet pages or pop ups in a new tab on the same Window in stead.

Especially when You are Openening several new Interent pages links or pop ups in the same window on new tabs , is more convenient and comfortable to use because you don't have to switch between several opened windows.

This reason is probably why Microsoft's biggest Competitor Mozilla FIREFOX already standard has seelcted the option opening new pages or pop ups in new tabs stead of on new windows enabled.

Thank you very very much for having the honour to test the Windows 7 Ultimate Beta version until 1 september.

Except for this uncomfortable standard internet browsing option I love Windows 7 much better than Windows Vista ;-)

Good luck with improving Windows 7 before the retail releash at the end of this year.

Kindest regards from pascalkolkman@live.nl from Holland.
    Friday, February 13, 2009 7:28 AM
  • I have given up using firefox, it would take a good 3 minutes to load, once it was open it seemed to be fine

I have switched to Google Chrome, that installed no problem, and opens in seconds
    Friday, February 13, 2009 10:22 AM
  • The only times I've ever had Firefox loading slowly, I've had other things running at the same time which slowed everything down (especially in the case of FF where it was downloading large files)

Check if you have background apps running that would cause that
    Friday, February 13, 2009 11:40 AM