none
dpm 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I can not perform DAG backup as DPM is out of space and it keep asking for more space for recovery point!!

What is the solution to start the backup. I dont have enough space.

The retention period is set to ONE day. is it possible to reduce it? how to claim more space safely without affecting the system.

How to reduce the number of recovery points?

The Log size is growing up in Exchange cause no success backup is happning!!!

Help me please!!!!!!

hussain

Friday, September 27, 2013 8:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Hussain,

If you got other workloads protected by your DPM server please try to shrink them. This is done via the GUI and is supported.Right click a protection Group, choose "modify disk allocation" and click the shrink link you will see on the right side of the new windows opend. Do this for all your protection groups. You may get error alerts that is informative.

Another thing to consider is to not use a high syncronization frequencey if you are running low on disk space in the DPM disk pool. This is alter in the protection group when you create or modify a protection group.

If non above mentioned suggestion will apply please add more disk to your dpm diskpool.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Saturday, September 28, 2013 8:10 PM

All replies

• Have you come across the PruneShadowCopiesDPM2010.ps1 script mentioned here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b8cfddf6-4aed-40ab-888a-43c923310422/dpm-2012-reclaim-space which should help remove old recovery points that are outside of their retention period. Note, from memory I believe retention is set at creation time, so changing the retention period later on doesn't change old backups that have already been taken.

Do you have any other backups running on your DPM server? Have you checked whether there are any backups currently configured with way more space allocated to them that required which you could then shrink to free up some space?

Friday, September 27, 2013 9:43 PM
  • I did not try to run PruneShadowCopiesDPM2010.ps1

Is it safe to run it ? from where I can download this file? I'm running DPM 2012 is it compatible?

hussain

Friday, September 27, 2013 10:06 PM
  • As described in the thread I linked to, it's not something you need to download, it's part of DPM and from one of the comments while it mentions 2010 in the name that's still the one to use in 2012. You'll find it in your DPM bin folder, eg c:\program files\MSDPM\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin\ (at least on one of my servers that's where it lives).
    Saturday, September 28, 2013 7:19 AM
  • Hi Hussain,

If you got other workloads protected by your DPM server please try to shrink them. This is done via the GUI and is supported.Right click a protection Group, choose "modify disk allocation" and click the shrink link you will see on the right side of the new windows opend. Do this for all your protection groups. You may get error alerts that is informative.

Another thing to consider is to not use a high syncronization frequencey if you are running low on disk space in the DPM disk pool. This is alter in the protection group when you create or modify a protection group.

If non above mentioned suggestion will apply please add more disk to your dpm diskpool.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Saturday, September 28, 2013 8:10 PM
  • Dear Robert / Keith,

I'm still struggle with this without any luck after doing shrink and running PruneShadowCopiesDPM2010.ps1.

see image below

hussain

Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:43 PM
  • rom the images you have posted I would recommend you to go to the Exchange server or servers ad run the vssadmin list writers  command from an elevated command prompt. Look if the Exchange VSS writer is present.

Please provide information regarding your progress.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 8:39 PM