Outlook 2013 Inbox reshuffles when mail is received. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

I am having an issue with Outlook 2013 the Inbox reshuffles when mail is received. The MB is one that I have access to and is not my primary MB (which is fine). It is a work email address for the company. No one else that accesses the MB and sub folders has the issue.

Issue began after upgrade to Office 365, Office 2010 was installed and install process was followed. Everything works fine except this annoying Inbox that jumps down out of view when at random, it also happens when a new mail is received.

What I have tried to fix it, none have.

1) Reshuffling by click and dragging Inbox back to the preferred order then closing and reopening Outlook 2013.

2) Moving the Inbox up by right clicking then selecting "move up" until its back in correct position. Close and reopen Outlook.

3) Right clicking the MB name and the sort by A-Z, closing and reopening Outlook.

I have googled this issue and it seems to be common as yet nobody has a fix for it. I didn't find it when searching through the Forum. So apologies if it is a repost.

Info

Running Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit 4GB

In an exchange environment.

Thanks in advance Doc

• Edited by D0cD00M Wednesday, January 21, 2015 10:08 AM OS verion info ;)
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 10:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Doc,

Thank you for your feedback.

Have you ever tried to enable the option of "Show All Folders A to Z" on the ribbon and see if it helps? Just select your mailbox from the folder list, then click that button under FOLDER tab on the ribbon.

This will restore all folders A to Z with the exception of Outlook default folders (Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items, Deleted Items).

Regards,

Ethan Hua
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Monday, January 26, 2015 9:28 AM

All replies

• Everything works fine except this annoying Inbox that jumps down out of view when at random,

As per your description, I understand that the position of your "Inbox" folder in Outlook's Folder list will change randomly. If I have misunderstood your concern, please let me know.

This could be due to the corruption in Outlook navigation pane. To troubleshoot this issue, I would suggest we first try to launch Outlook with /resetnavpane switch and then verify result:

Press Win + R and type "outlook.exe /resetnavpane" in the blank box, then press Enter.

Please note this switch will reset the navigation pane to the default, wipe out any customizations you may have.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 10:43 AM
  • Hi There,

If there are a few of you using the same Mailbox and I assume you are using an exchange service, when anyone makes changes to those folders eg. renames them or moves them this will take effect on everyone using that mailbox. So usually when a new mail is received it shakes hands with the server and checks and changes and applies them to your outlook. So if someone down the corridor is using the mailbox and rearranges it to the way he likes to use the mailbox then this will show for everyone else.

Are you have an issue with the mailbox disappearing out of view altogether?

If you could perhaps upload a screenshot of the issue so we can see exactly what is happening.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 10:53 AM
  • As this is a busy service desk I don't want to cause further inconvenience by doing the reset nav pane switch. you suggest. I will keep that for end of the week if I cant' fix this with a different way.

Thanks for the reply I will reply with the solution when I have it.

As a side note the PC has also been restarted to ensure all instances of outlook processes were killed. It hasn't worked. This seems to point to it being due to other colleagues having access to it, but there was no issue with the multi access in Outlook 2010.

Thanks Doc

Thursday, January 22, 2015 5:23 PM
  • Yes it is a mailbox that quite a few of us in the office use. It is an Exchange service we have, I have asked all other colleagues who have access to it if they have made changes or edited names etc.

They haven't the reason for this is this mailbox is used to provide support to major clients. it would make no sense to have the Inbox out of view or lower down. As it is receives SCOM alerts through the day as well as general support emails from clients. Since posting only one other engineer has reported the same issue. He works a different week than myself. (He was on shift last week, I'm working this week).

I 'm the only engineer who really uses it throughout the day. Unless someone covers my lunch etc. The 2nd and 3rd line guys haven't seen this issue, nor has any clients reported a similar issue with their within their infrastructures we support.

The 2nd/3rd line engineers also have access to this MB in case you are wondering. One suggested it may IMAP related or that someone hasn't upgraded to the Office 2013 yet? I have a screen shot of it, position 1 is were it sits normally and position 2 is where it ends up, sometimes dropping complete to the bottom of the nav pane.

I only have one other MB my own person work one with company related sub folders. Favourites at the top has the following, Inbox, Sent, Deleted.

Update I left it in position 2 under DOCS until another email came in it didn't reshuffle?

Thanks in advance.

Doc

• Edited by D0cD00M Thursday, January 22, 2015 5:52 PM update info
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 5:45 PM
  • Hi Doc,

Thank you for your feedback.

Have you ever tried to enable the option of "Show All Folders A to Z" on the ribbon and see if it helps? Just select your mailbox from the folder list, then click that button under FOLDER tab on the ribbon.

This will restore all folders A to Z with the exception of Outlook default folders (Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items, Deleted Items).

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Monday, January 26, 2015 9:28 AM