Windows Troubleshooter Not Working in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Computers - 0x800B010E "a problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting" RRS feed

• Question

• I am starting my own thread from this one: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/cb96c5eb-d1fd-4feb-a6c3-d172d7c663cb

my addition to that post:

-------------------------------------------------------------

I was having the same issue on all windows 7 domain computers. I found the section "Troubleshooting Pack Management" in this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee424304(WS.10).aspx When I tried to run the PowerShell commands: Import-Module TroubleshootingPack $aero = Get-TroubleshootingPack $env:SystemRoot\Diagnostics\System\Aero Invoke-TroubleshootingPack -Pack $aero -Result C:\DiagResult -unattend I received this: Get-TroubleshootingPack : The revocation process could not continue - the certificate(s) could not be checked. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800B010E) So in IE, tools, advanced tab in the settings section. under the security section, I unchecked "check for publishers certificate revocation" and "check for server certificate revocation" I re-ran the above commands and they completed successfully. Low and behold, all of my troubleshooters are now working. No need for me to do a repair install!!! Now for me, this only pinpoints the true problem, I cannot access the CRL Distribution point of whatever certificate is being used for w7 troubleshooting. A few months back I moved my internal CA to a new DC (with a new name), so I suspect that there is a problem with my internal CRL. But I really don’t know for sure. Is the W7 troubleshooter(s) trying to access a public CRL and it's actually a firewall issue? Perhaps someone knows the answer to this part of the problem?

-------------------------------------------------------------

I continue to struggle with this... This is happening on all my Windows 7 domain computers and Windows 2008 R2 servers. I’ve turned off and on firewalls, imported root certificates, I logged on as a different domain user, delete my profile and log back on. With this, The problem goes away, but it later returns. So, first thought is a problematic GPO. I moved my computer and user to a test OU and blocked policy inheritance. one at a time I enforced each policy. I cannot reproduce the problem. I saw some posts about an issue with .net and a repair had worked, but not for me. It also seems that not all troubleshooters are affected. Display Quality, performance, playing burning CD's..., Setup TV tuner and Windows update Troubleshooters are the only ones that work.

All have the same error code: 0x800B010E "a problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting" I just can’t seem to nail this down. Any help is appreciated.

Bret

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Thursday, July 7, 2011 12:32 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 10:56 PM

Answers

• On a computer that is currently reproducing the issue, what do you see for the State registry value?

c:\>reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WinTrust\Trust Providers\Software Publishing"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WinTrust\Trust Providers\Software Publishing
        State    REG_DWORD    0x23c00

And then if you run Rsop.msc on that machine, what IE-related policies are being pushed down to it?

And if you do a "where gp*.dll" - check the version numbers of those files, both on a Windows 7 SP1 client that is reproducing the problem AND on a Windows Server 2008 R2 domain controller.

Because it sounds similar to this issue resolved by hotfix 982606 where the State value is not written properly, but it sounds like you are already on versions of those files that would contain the fix.

982606 The value of the "State" registry item is changed after a Group Policy preferences setting is applied in Windows Server 2008, in Windows Vista or in Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982606

Monday, July 11, 2011 12:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

Please make sure you have Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 is installed.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 9:20 AM
  • Yes, all w7 and 2008 R2 servers are fully patched.
    Bret
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 9:33 PM
  • Hi,

After checking the issue, it seems this is a general domain environment related issue. As this forum focuses on Windows Vista specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Windows Server forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, July 11, 2011 11:01 AM
  • On a computer that is currently reproducing the issue, what do you see for the State registry value?

c:\>reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WinTrust\Trust Providers\Software Publishing"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WinTrust\Trust Providers\Software Publishing
        State    REG_DWORD    0x23c00

And then if you run Rsop.msc on that machine, what IE-related policies are being pushed down to it?

And if you do a "where gp*.dll" - check the version numbers of those files, both on a Windows 7 SP1 client that is reproducing the problem AND on a Windows Server 2008 R2 domain controller.

Because it sounds similar to this issue resolved by hotfix 982606 where the State value is not written properly, but it sounds like you are already on versions of those files that would contain the fix.

982606 The value of the "State" registry item is changed after a Group Policy preferences setting is applied in Windows Server 2008, in Windows Vista or in Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982606

Monday, July 11, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Thank you for all of your replies. I need to correct a previous statement: all windows 7 computers are completely patched. Some of the 2008 servers need updates and many are not on SP1 yet.

The "state" value was 0x2c9 (201) on both W7 and 08 R2. when I set the value to 0x23c00, the troubleshooters start to work.

For Group policy/IE settings on workstations; we set the users default homepage, and assign intranet sites to the intranet zone and related SSO settings in the internet control panel, security page.

Doing "where gp*.dll" gave me older versions (mostly 6.1.7600.16385 on servers and 6.1.7601.17514 on w7), than listed in the hotfix.

There are no IE GPO's for our servers.

I the hotfix on one of the 2008 R2 DC's and it also resolves the issue.

Bret
    Monday, July 11, 2011 5:50 PM