AS2000 process : msmdsrv.exe is consuming a lot of memory at startup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a medium sized AS2000 OLAP database on a 32-bit windows 2003 server running only Analysis server(no RS, SQL Server) with 8GB RAM and the /3GB switch enabled. On the server, the minimum allocated memory is 1000MB and memory conservation threshold is 2700MB. The Read-Ahead buffer size is 100MB and the Process buffer size is 300MB.

We frequently face Out of Memory errors and we restart the OLAP Server to address this. I have started Performance monitoring counters on that machine. While investigating the memory allocation and usage at OLAP process startup, i noted that the "Analysis Server:Startup\Total bytes" is only1271450879 bytes(close to 1.2GB). The size of all dimensions in the system is also only 1.2GB so this is acceptable(I know that analysis services loads all the dimensions into memory at startup). However the "Process(msmdsrv)\Virtual Bytes Peak" settles at a value of 2715160576 bytes(2.6GB). Howcome the  Process(msmdsrv)\Virtual Bytes Peak is taking such a high value? Is there anything else i am missing here?? How to identify why this is taking up so much memory?

Any help would be highly valuable and appreciated.

Thanks

Ravi

Friday, March 13, 2009 7:56 PM

All replies

• This is probably a better question for the SSAS group on MSDN.
    Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, March 13, 2009 10:37 PM